Mick McCarthy once again looking for goals from midfield for Ipswich Town
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy will once again try to find the right fit for the Blues when it comes to signing goalscoring midfielders this summer.
McCarthy has lost the services of Ryan Fraser, who has returned to Bournemouth.
His season-long loan at Portman Road was brought to an abrupt end when he suffered a hamstring injury at QPR.
Jay Tabb, meanwhile, has been released, while loanees Ben Pringle and Ainsley Maitland-Niles are not expected to be back.
Then there is Cameron Stewart who, despite having a year left on his contract, will be seeking pastures new this summer, after a disappointing spell in Suffolk which has yielded just two FA Cup substitute appearances, since the summer of 2014.
You may also want to watch:
Fraser and Pringle scored four and two goals respectively, during their loan spells, but aside from that, Town’s midfielders netted just eight times.
“The wide areas are an issue for us. We have lost Tabby (Jay Tabb). Ainsley has gone back to Arsenal and obviously Ryan (Fraser) is back with Bournemouth so we need to look at that,” the Blues’ boss said.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 3 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 4 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 5 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 6 Film crews begin shooting Amazon show in Suffolk village
- 7 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 8 GP warns of 'Latitude effect' as cases rise among young people
- 9 Dog-friendly pub set to reopen in east Suffolk after major revamp
- 10 Historic East Anglian sailing barge to become floating bakery
“Goals from midfield have been a problem for us over the last two or three years but we looked to have got on top of that with Ryan, who certainly contributed in that area. He was a real loss for us.
“Kevin Bru got a couple of goals, Dougie (Jonathan Douglas) is a goalscoring midfielder operating in the right system, we need to get Bish (Teddy Bishop) back fit and contributing in attacking areas as well.
“We certainly need more in terms of goals from our midfield.”