Mick McCarthy reveals he turned down a Nottingham Forest interview before becoming Ipswich Town boss
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy says he rejected the chance to interview for the Nottingham Forest job prior to becoming Ipswich Town boss in 2012.
The Blues could relegate Forest to League One in a season-finale at The City Ground on Sunday lunchtime (12pm, Sky Sports), with Birmingham City and Blackburn Rovers also in the dogfight.
After being sacked by Wolves in February 2012, several Championship clubs came calling for McCarthy – including Blackburn and Forest.
He explained: “I had a phone call (from Forest) and they asked me if I’d go and have an interview and I said no.
“I wouldn’t go for an interview.
You may also want to watch:
“It said in the paper, on Saturday morning while I was in Portugal, that Mick McCarthy was coming back from Portugal for an interview on Monday. I said ‘no I’m not’.
“I wasn’t offered the job, I was asked to go for an interview. Well I don’t want the world to know I was going for an interview. That’s a great recipe for success that isn’t it? They end up telling everybody ‘we’ve turned Mick McCarthy down’. That’s kudos for them, saying they’ve turned down someone who has won the Championship twice. I don’t give people the chance to do that.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 5 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 6 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
- 7 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
“Maybe they wouldn’t (have turned me down), but I didn’t give them the chance.”