Mick McCarthy ‘unaware’ of Ipswich Town’s reported bid for Hibernian midfielder John McGinn
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy remained typically coy when quizzed on his reported interest in duo John McGinn and John Marquis.
McGinn starred in Hibernian’s midfield last season and Town reportedly made a seven figure bid for his signature last month. The Scottish club’s boss, Neil Lennon, told the Daily Record: “It was nowhere near the valuation we have of the player and that’s the end of it.”
Asked about that story, McCarthy replied: “I never bid any money for him. We look at the Scottish market because Dave (Bowman, director of football) sees that regularly, but I haven’t bid for him.
When made aware of Lennon’s public comments, he added: “Well, we spoke about him – but it’s not one I was aware we’ve made a bid for.”
Striker John Marquis scored 26 goals to help fire Doncaster Rovers to League Two promotion last season. Manager Darren Ferguson has revealed that the 25-year-old and has turned down a new deal at The Keepmoat Stadium with the 25-year-old now heading into the final year of his contract.
You may also want to watch:
Asked if Marquis was a player he was interested in, McCarthy said: “We’ve trawled everywhere and looked at all the names that are being thrown about. I wouldn’t tell you who whether that’s somebody we’ve looked at or not.”
Steven Taylor started this afternoon’s 5-0 friendly win at Irish side Drogheda United and has been told to prove his fitness over pre-season if he is to earn a new deal at Portman Road.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 3 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 4 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 5 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 6 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 7 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
- 8 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 9 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 10 North Stander: Bonne's becoming a Blues icon - now we have to start winning
Town have also been linked with a move for recent Reading loan striker Dominic Samuel. McCarthy said: “At this moment in time there’s nothing happening with that one, no.”