Milan owner reveals Adebayor plans
SILVIO Berlusconi has lifted the lid on plans for AC Milan to sign Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor. (Daily Mail)The club's owner and controversial Italian prime minister told fans on a weekend walkabout in Sicily of replacing Chelsea-bound coach Carlo Ancelotti with Marco van Basten, as well as bringing in unsettled Barclays Premier League star Adebayor.
SILVIO Berlusconi has lifted the lid on plans for AC Milan to sign Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor. (Daily Mail)
The club's owner and controversial Italian prime minister told fans on a weekend walkabout in Sicily of replacing Chelsea-bound coach Carlo Ancelotti with Marco van Basten, as well as bringing in unsettled Barclays Premier League star Adebayor.
“Marco for me is like a son,” said Berlusconi. “He is a piece of Milan history.”
Then when asked which new players would arrive at the Serie A giants he said: “There is a good chance we will get Adebayor.”
You may also want to watch:
It is the second time in less than a week that Berlusconi has commented publicly on AC Milan's future to fans.
Last week he made his anger felt about Ancelotti by saying he felt it was his 'fault' the club had not won the Italian championship.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 6 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 7 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 8 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
- 9 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 10 Familiar faces galore, 'Chequebook FC' and the start of something big? - Town head to Portsmouth
He also said last summer's star signing Ronaldinho had been underused by the coach.
Milan's defeat by Udinese on Saturday saw rivals Inter crowned champions and Berlusconi said: “I wish Inter all the best they deserved the title but next year we want to win it.
“As for Ronaldinho we shall have to wait and see what happens. I still think he was a good investment.”
His latest comments were widely reported in today's Italian sporting press, including Gazzetta dello Sport and Corriere dello Sport, who both described Berlusconi's walkabout in the Sicilian resort of Taormina.
While both papers also described how despite his outburst last week Berlusconi had also described Ancelotti as 'one of the family' and that if he did leave the club would go for a younger coach.
Van Basten, who used to play for AC Milan between 1987 and 1993, had been in Italy over the weekend playing golf at course near the Italian city.
It is thought the former Holland and Ajax coach then dined with Milan officials and is a strong contender to take over as coach in the summer.
But the Rossoneri's vice-president Adriano Galliani tried to play down reports, insisting: “Marco was in Milan to play golf and nothing else.”
Ancelotti is an admirer of Adebayor and Chelsea could emerge as a rival to sign the Togo international.
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger last week insisted he would have no qualms selling to a Premier League rival.
The player himself has done little to dampen speculation linking him to Milan, saying the club's interest is as flattering as being fancied by singer Beyonce Knowles.