Mildenhall Fen Tigers stage stunning fightback to earn Cup replay against Stoke Potters
- Credit: Archant
Mildenhall 50, Stoke 40. Agg 90-90. Replay needed
Mildenhall fans will be asking themselves ‘what next?’ after the Fen Tigers’ depleted side rammed home three 5-1s in the final three races to force an aggregate draw with Stoke Potters in the KO Cup, at West Row yesterday.
Holding a first leg advantage of 10 points the Potters started well. A debatable exclusion for new boy Matt Marson in heat two saw a second drawn heat and only fine blasts from Jon Armstrong and Jordan Jenkins to pass David Wallinger in heat three prevented the Potters from extending their lead.
Heat four saw the crowd lifted when Dan Halsey gated to be joined by Marson with the youngster riding a fine line to keep the experienced Luke Priest at bay and secure an important 5-1 to reduce the gap to six points.
But the Fen Tigers’ good work was undone as Ryan Terry Daley and Shaun Tedham gated to a 5-1, before Dan Halsey was excluded in heat 11 putting the visitors 12 points ahead with only four races left.
You may also want to watch:
Some stern words from the management team and a powerful rallying cry from the Fen Tigers captain Armstrong during the interval rallied the Fen Tigers.
Heat 13 saw Luke Priest hit the front but both Ben Morley and the flying Halsey stormed to the front to reduce the lead to eight.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
Marson and Jenkins did it again in the penultimate race, before Armstrong and Halsey brought the house down with a heat 15 5-1 to level the aggregate scores. A replay will be required.
Club promoter Kevin Jolly was relieved but not totally happy with his side’s performance: “Yes, some harsh words were dished out today, some of the riders needed reminding of what was expected of them and thankfully the response was what I would have hoped for,” he said.
Fen Tigers 50 : Danny Halsey 12 (5 rides), Jon Armstrong 11+2 (5), Ben Morley (G) 10+1 (4), Jordan Jenkins 6+2 (4), Matt Marson 5+1 (5), Lewis Whitmore 4 (3) and Danno Verge 2+1(4) Stoke: Mitchell Davey 10 (5), Tony Atkin 8+1 (5), Luke Priest 6 (4), Shaun Tedham 5 (4), Ryan Terry-Daley 4+2 (4), David Wallinger 4+1 (4) and Paul Burnett 3+3 (4)