Mildenhall's Marshall gets six-month ban
MILDENHALL Town keeper Shaun Marshall has been banned for six months for assaulting a referee.And the experienced 30-year-old keeper has been left so devastated by the “ludicrous” ban, he has decided to quit.
Football: Mildenhall Town keeper Shaun Marshall has been banned for six months for assaulting a referee.
And the experienced 30-year-old keeper has been left so devastated by the “ludicrous” ban, he has decided to quit.
You may also want to watch:
Marshall feels he had an unfair hearing from Suffolk FA after being accused of aggressive behaviour towards the match official during his side's 2-2 draw with Woodbridge in the Ridgeons League, Premier Division.
Marshall conceded a penalty and received a red card for bringing down an opposition forward and was upset with the referee as he felt he had been fouled in the build-up to the incident.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 3 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 4 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 5 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 6 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 7 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 8 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 9 Cambridge United 2-2 Ipswich Town: Blues let their lead slip again in draw
- 10 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
And the former Cambridge United shot-stopper, who came through the youth ranks at the Abbey, is so disillusioned that he has chosen to walk away from the sport.
Marshall said: "It seemed like a foregone conclusion when I walked into the room for the hearing - it was cut-throat.
"I think if there'd been video evidence then that would have helped and shown I didn't assault the referee, but they seemed to have made their minds up before I got in there.”
Mildenhall chairman Martin Tuck said: “Anyone who knows Shaun knows he is not that type of person. Mildenhall Town FC don't condone any aggressive behaviour, especially towards officials, but we feel a six-month ban is excessive.”