Top riders turn out for Jon Armstrong Testimonial on Sunday
- Credit: Archant
All roads lead to the Mildenhall Stadium in West Row, on Sunday, 2pm, as Mildenhall host a testimonial meeting for one of the sport’s true gentleman. Jon Armstrong epitomises everything that is good about the sport of speedway.
An exciting hard but fair rider who respects his opponents, cares about the sport he loves, and willingly shares his knowledge and experience with those in need.
With a career that spans in advance of 25 years and is still going strong his list of clubs reads like a who’s who of speedway teams.
Starting at Belle Vue in 1992, Armo’s career has seen him ride for Coventry, Sheffield, Buxton, Swindon, Peterborough, Stoke, Newport, Birmingham, Boston, Weymouth, Dudley and of course Mildenhall, the club he calls home!
It is no surprise that the field assembled is of a high quality and includes the likes of Ipswich heat leader Rory Schlein and Berwick’s Kevin Doolan. It is also no surprise that the field has a strong Mildenhall feel with current ‘KJM/Manchetts’ Fen Tigers Danny Ayres and Jordan Jenkins taking their place alongside ex Fen Tigers favourites Danny Halsey, Alfie Bowtell, Stefan Nielsen, Connor Mountain, Ben Hopwood and of course Jon himself.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be Junior racing throughout the afternoon, with many potential starts of the future racing under the Young Lions banner.
“It is incredible to think that this special day for my family and myself is nearly upon us,” Armstrong said.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 3 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 4 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 9 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
“When I look back over the years I feel very lucky to have been part of such a wonderful sport, and have no intention of retiring just yet, I am enjoying a new lease of life this season at Coventry.
“I sincerely hope everyone has a wonderful afternoon on Sunday and although I won’t be able to thank everyone in person for coming, you should know how very grateful I am to you all”
Jon Armstrong Testimonial line-up: 1. Simon Lambert 2. Adam Roynon 3. Danny Halsey 4. TBC 5. Rory Schlein 6. Kevin Doolan 7. Alfie Bowtell 8. Luke Bowen 9. Ben Hopwood 10. Jordan Jenkins 11. Kyle Newman 12. Stefan Nilesen 13. Jon Armstrong 14. Danny Ayres 15. Connor Mountain 16. Ben Morley – Reserves Sam Bebee and Danno Verge