Top riders turn out for Jon Armstrong Testimonial on Sunday
- Credit: Archant
All roads lead to the Mildenhall Stadium in West Row, on Sunday, 2pm, as Mildenhall host a testimonial meeting for one of the sport’s true gentleman. Jon Armstrong epitomises everything that is good about the sport of speedway.
An exciting hard but fair rider who respects his opponents, cares about the sport he loves, and willingly shares his knowledge and experience with those in need.
With a career that spans in advance of 25 years and is still going strong his list of clubs reads like a who’s who of speedway teams.
Starting at Belle Vue in 1992, Armo’s career has seen him ride for Coventry, Sheffield, Buxton, Swindon, Peterborough, Stoke, Newport, Birmingham, Boston, Weymouth, Dudley and of course Mildenhall, the club he calls home!
It is no surprise that the field assembled is of a high quality and includes the likes of Ipswich heat leader Rory Schlein and Berwick’s Kevin Doolan. It is also no surprise that the field has a strong Mildenhall feel with current ‘KJM/Manchetts’ Fen Tigers Danny Ayres and Jordan Jenkins taking their place alongside ex Fen Tigers favourites Danny Halsey, Alfie Bowtell, Stefan Nielsen, Connor Mountain, Ben Hopwood and of course Jon himself.
There will also be Junior racing throughout the afternoon, with many potential starts of the future racing under the Young Lions banner.
“It is incredible to think that this special day for my family and myself is nearly upon us,” Armstrong said.
- 1 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 2 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 3 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 4 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 5 McKenna on offers for Harper and El Mizouni and Fraser's Town future
- 6 Lorry carrying mobile unit pulled over on A14 for being too wide
- 7 Police apology after cars accidentally damaged by stinger device on A14
- 8 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 9 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 10 McKenna will make late calls in two positions ahead of Wednesday trip
“When I look back over the years I feel very lucky to have been part of such a wonderful sport, and have no intention of retiring just yet, I am enjoying a new lease of life this season at Coventry.
“I sincerely hope everyone has a wonderful afternoon on Sunday and although I won’t be able to thank everyone in person for coming, you should know how very grateful I am to you all”
Jon Armstrong Testimonial line-up: 1. Simon Lambert 2. Adam Roynon 3. Danny Halsey 4. TBC 5. Rory Schlein 6. Kevin Doolan 7. Alfie Bowtell 8. Luke Bowen 9. Ben Hopwood 10. Jordan Jenkins 11. Kyle Newman 12. Stefan Nilesen 13. Jon Armstrong 14. Danny Ayres 15. Connor Mountain 16. Ben Morley – Reserves Sam Bebee and Danno Verge