Millennium Martial Arts’ quintet aiming for Slovakian tournament
An Ipswich-based martial arts club are pulling out all the stops to send five of their most talented young kickboxers on a European adventure.
Nicole Huntingdon, 15, Megan Hageman, 14, Alanah Thompson and Iona McCormach, 13, and Amber Halls, eight, from Millennium Martial Arts, have all been selected to represent Great Britain, in Slovakia, at the World Association of Kickboxing Association (WAKO) World Championships, from September 10 to 15.
Nicole, 15, who attends Copleston High School, won gold at the European Championships, in Italy, last year and has also been provisionally selected to represent Team England at an International Sport Kickboxing Association (ISKA) World Amateur Championships in Holland, at the end of October.
However, the travel and pre-tournament training does not come free and Millennium, which held a club event at St Clements Social Club on May 19, is organising a number of fundraising events including a pamper and shopping event at Tithe Barn, Sproughton on June 10, between 11-4pm, to help the girls as well as its other members that might want to go to events elsewhere.
“I have faith in Nicole and the rest of the team have put the time and effort in to show that they deserve a chance to go to the World Championships,” said club volunteer coach and 3rd dan, Andy Thompson.
You may also want to watch:
“Nicole won a medal at last year’s European Championships and I think, for the rest of the girls, she opened the other girls’ eyes in terms of what can be achieved if they put the work in.”
Nicole will be competing in the under-55kg, Megan will compete in the under-55kg class, while Iona will be competing at 60kg-plus, Alanah at under-50kg and Amber at under-28kg.
- 1 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 2 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 3 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 4 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 5 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 7 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 8 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 9 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 10 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
The pamper and shopping event will see stalls selling jewellery, handbags, handmade cards, crystals, homemade jams and chutneys and much more.