Mitchell to meet Ahmad in main event of Cage Warriors Academy South East 25
- Credit: Archant
Rising Essex star Leigh Mitchell will headline a spectacular Cage Warriors Academy South East 25 card in Colchester in March.
Bantamweight Mitchell (2-1), who hails from just down the road in Witham, kickstarted his pro career in 2019, submitting the more experienced Rico Biggs in style at Cage Warriors Academy South East 24 in October, before heading to Italy four days before Christmas and doing the same thing to Michele Clemente.
It was the perfect way to rebound after breaking his hand and losing his pro debut to the now-surging Liam Gittins in June 2018 - Gittins, now 5-0, is one of the brightest young stars on the Cage Warriors roster.
So Mitchell, who fights out of Colchester powerhouse BKK Fighters Gym, will look to make it three wins in a row when he welcomes unbeaten amateur Damian Ahmad to the paid ranks at Charter Hall on March 7.
Ahmad was 4-0 as an amateur and ranked in the country's top 15 135lb fighters. With four decision victories under his belt, the New Wave Academy product will be planning on taking a big scalp and a claiming his first stoppage when he fights under pro rules for the first time.
You may also want to watch:
The fight will cap what's shaping up to be another excellent CWSE card, which will also feature a four-man, one night tournament to decide the new amateur featherweight champion, ex-champ George Tanasa bidding to win back the strap he lost to Jimmy Fell last October.
And there's a tasty looking title fight in the amateur bantamweight division too, as Norfolk's Chey Veal (4-4-1) squares off with Jack Clarke (4-1), who scored one of the best knockouts of 2019 when he put Will Timmis to sleep from his back in their clash at CWSE in October.
- 2 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 3 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 4 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 5 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 6 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 7 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 8 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 9 How busy was Bury St Edmunds town centre as lockdown eased?
- 10 Disused village Post Office reopening as deli and coffee house