Mixed feelings for Ward
Colchester United manager John Ward admits he has mixed feelings after this afternoon’s 1-1 home draw with Sheffield Wednesday.
COLCHESTER United manager John Ward admits he has mixed feeling following his side’s 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday this afternoon.
The U’s played some entertaining football against one of the promotion favourites and looked to be heading for victory following Andy Bond’s stunning 50th minute strike.
David Mooney hit the post soon after the opener, but their failure to kill off the game was punished for the second week running when substitute Neil Mellor stabbed home six minutes from time.
“I’ve got those same mixed feelings as I did at Exeter last week,” said Ward. “I’m disappointed not to have won the game, but I’m so pleased with the way we’ve performed against one of the teams that are favourites to get out of this division.
You may also want to watch:
“It gives me great pleasure to see Sheffield Wednesday celebrating a point here, but I’m frustrated that we couldn’t quite get the win,
“I’m more annoyed, not with the equaliser, but with the chances we had to make the lead heavier.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 3 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 6 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 7 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
- 8 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 9 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 10 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
“Everybody who has been at this ground today has hopefully gone away having enjoyed a really good game of football.
“We’re on the right track – now we’ve just got to find that win.”
– Full match report and reaction in Monday’s EADT.