Moldova hit back to earn share of spoils
England Under-21 2 Moldova Under-21 2A GOAL five minutes from time denied England victory in their European Championship qualifier at Portman Road tonight.
England Under-21 2 Moldova Under-21 2
A GOAL five minutes from time denied England victory in their European Championship qualifier at Portman Road tonight.
The unmarked Theo Walcott had put England in front after just two minutes and 27 seconds on his Under-21 debut, heading home from a left-wing cross by Leighton Baines.
England did not deserve to be ahead at the interval as Moldova looked the better side for much of the opening period.
You may also want to watch:
Moldova equalised in the 75th minute when Steven Taylor lost possession and Serghei Alexeev beat Scott Carson with a shot just under the bar.
The visitors' joy was shortlived as England restored their lead within a minute, substitute Cameron Jerome supplying a deep cross to the far post where David Nugent headed down and into the roof of the net.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 6 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 7 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain
But Moldova drew level for a second time with five minutes remaining when substitute Zislis nipped in at the near post to ensure the points were shared.
Former Ipswich star Darren Ambrose came on as an England substitute for the final 13 minutes.