Moncur and Sordell on target as Colchester United enjoy Cup win

George Moncur, who scored the first and set up the second for Marvin Sordell, against Charlton this

George Moncur, who scored the first and set up the second for Marvin Sordell, against Charlton this afternoon - Credit: Archant

Colchester United 2 Charlton Athletic 1

Colchester United reached the fourth round of the FA Cup, for the first time in 10 years, with a 2-0 win over Championship strugglers Charlton Athletic at the Weston Homes Community Stadium this afternoon.

First-half goals by George Moncur and Marvin Sordell eased the dominant U’s to this third round success.

The U’s richly deserved their lead, handed to them by Moncur in the 28th minute.

Marvin Sordell was the creator, sliding the ball through for Moncur, who cut inside before sending a measured shot into the corner of the net from 10 yards out.

You may also want to watch:

It was a deadly finish by Moncur, bringing up his 10th goal of the season.

And Moncur then returned the favour by setting up Sordell for the U’s second goal, on 41 minutes.

Most Read

Moncur ran uncontested through the middle and released Sordell with a wonderful through ball. The U’s striker was away and clear of the Charlton defence, and he made no mistake with a super cool finish, directing his shot beyond the reach of the advancing Nick Pope.

Charlton had no response, although Reza Ghoochannejhad did head a consolation goal deep in stoppage time..

U’s boss Keen had made three changes to the side that ended a run of nine straight league defeats, with a 1-1 draw at Oldham last weekend.

Keeper Jake Kean, signed on a month’s loan from Norwich City on Thursday, was handed his U’s debut in place of Elliott Parish.

A fit-again Owen Garvan replaced Joe Edwards in central midfield, while Alex Wynter came in at centre-back to deputise for the injured George Elokobi.

It was a much-changed Charlton side, with former Bury Town keeper Pope given a rare first-team chance. It was his first FA Cup appearance for the Addicks, but his 26th senior outing.

The U’s settled the better during the opening 10 minutes, although neither side threatened any serious goalmouth action.

On the quarter-hour mark, Sordell set up an attacking chance with some neat play on the edge of the box. Richard Brindley whipped over a low cross in the direction of Chris Porter, who mis-controlled on the edge of the six-yard box, although the flag had already been raised for offside against the U’s skipper.

At the other end, keeper Kean had nothing to do during the first quarter of the game, although he did watch closely as Cristian Ceballos’ long-range shot whistled a foot wide of goal.

Sordell came close to an opening goal in the 18th minute. Winger Gavin Massey had room inside the box, before he cut inside to find Sordell, whose first-time shot flew narrowly wide of the far upright.

Five minutes later and the U’s, getting on top, rained in shots from the edge of the box. Moncur’s initial effort was blocked, before Massey’s follow-up effort was deflected wide.

Pope pulled off a terrific save, to deny the U’s in the 26th minute. Alex Gilbey looked poised to score, from close in, following good work by strikers Sordell and Porter, but the Charlton keeper dived to his right to palm around his post.

But just two minutes later and Pope was powerless to prevent Moncur from slamming the U’s into a 1-0 lead, with a precise finish.

Charlton almost equalised straight afterwards. Kean’s punched clearance landed at the feet of Ceballos, and the Spaniard’s shot struck the bottom of the far post and rebounded to safety.

But the Londoners were in real trouble when Sordell doubled the U’s lead with another excellent finish, from Moncur’s through ball, on 41 minutes.

It was very nearly 3-0 in the 44th minute, only for Pope to block Tom Eastman’s powerful low drive with his legs, at point blank range.

Kean made a good save, in first-half injury-time, to keep out Simon Makienok’s thunderous low drive.

Into the second half and Pope saved well from Moncur’s angled drive, down at his near post, following a well-worked free-kick on 52 minutes.

Charlton rarely threatened, while at the other end Pope reacted late before saving well from Moncur’s goal-bound shot in the 70th minute.

Despite conceding an injury-time goal, to Ghoochannejhad, the U’s held on for a deserved win.


COLCHESTER: Kean, Brindley, Wynter, Eastman, Briggs, Massey, Garvan (sub Edwards, 73), Gilbey, Moncur (sub Vincent-Young, 87), Sordell (sub Bonne, 82), Porter. Unused subs: Parish, Wright, Kent, Lapslie,

CHARLTON: Pope, Charles-Cook, Johnson (sub Vaz Te, 61), Sarr, Fox, Poyet, Moussa, Ceballos (sub Williams, 46), Cousins (sub Vetokele, 37), Ghoochannejhad, Makienok. Unused subs: Henderson, Lennon, Konsa, Umerah.

Referee: Chris Kavanagh

Attendance: 5,742 (1,804 away fans)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter