Monty Panesar signs two-year deal with Essex County Cricket Club
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Photos
Essex County Cricket Club have today announced the signing of England spin bowler, Monty Panesar, on a two-year contract.
It follows a successful loan spell with the club during the latter stages of the 2013 season where he played solely in the LV= County Championship format of the game.
After joining Essex ahead of the Colchester Cricket Festival in August, Panesar made six appearances and took a total of 14 wickets.
Panesar, 31, is currently with the England squad for the upcoming Ashes Series in Australia, but spoke of his delight in signing permanently.
He said: “I loved playing for Essex last season. In the short time I was there, I was made to feel very welcome, both in the team and around the Club.
You may also want to watch:
“I will always remember how the supporters and members gave me a heart-warming round of applause when I first came on to bowl at Colchester last August.
“It helped me to feel respected and loved as a cricketer after experiencing a challenging time in my life.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
“I am determined to play my part in inspiring the team to be successful in all competitions. I want to help the club build towards the kind of success they enjoyed in its glory days under legendary captains Keith Fletcher and Graham Gooch.
“I love the ‘family feel’ of the club, and value the role Essex has played in helping me move towards my best, and gain selection for this winter’s Ashes Series.”
Chief Executive Derek Bowden said, “We are delighted that Monty has decided to join our club, he liked his time here at the end of last season and we enjoyed having him.
“He was on top of our list for new players and it’s great to finalise his signing in good time for next season”