Mooney wins it late on
npower League One Colchester Utd 2 Peterborough Utd 1
DAVID Mooney’s late goal saw Colchester come-from-behind to beat promotion-rivals Peterborough in an absorbing end-to-end match tonight.
The U’s went behind just 49 seconds into the match when Tommy Rowe headed home at the far post.
Peterborough hit the post as they pushed for a second before Steven Gillespie – making his first league start in just over nine months – scored his third goal in two games to send the sides in level at the break.
The visitors hit the bar within seconds of the restart before both sides traded chances throughout a frenetic second period.
You may also want to watch:
It was the U’s who came out on top though as Mooney fired into the bottom corner four minutes from time following a fine touch from substitute Kayode Odejayi.
Ward’s side have now claimed five wins from losing positions this season. The win moves the Essex side to within a point of Peterborough and the play-off places.
- 1 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 8 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 9 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 10 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
– Full match report in tomorrow’s EADT.
COLCHESTER UTD (4-4-2): Williams 7; Beevers 7, Clarke 8, Heath 8, Coker 7; Bond 8, Izzet 7, James 7 (Wordsworth 70, 7), Perkins 8; Gillespie 7 (Odejayi 70, 7), Mooney7 (White 87).
Unused Subs: Cousins, Henderson, Vincent, Vilhjalmsson,
PETERBOROUGH UTD (4-4-2): Lewis 7, Whelpdale 8, Kennedy 7, Langmead 7, Bennett 7; Lee 7, Wesolowski 7 (Frecklington 87), Rowe 7 (Mendez-Laing 85), Boyd 8; Mackail-Smith 7, Tomlin 7.
Unused Subs: Collis, Little, Basey, Ofori-Twumasi, Davis.
Booked: Boyd (62).
U’s Man-of-the-Match: David Perkins Referee: Mr Phil Crossley