Mourinho in shock Chelsea exit
CHELSEA FC have confirmed Jose Mourinho is no longer the club's manager having left "by mutual consent".A statement on the club's website reads: "Chelsea Football Club and Jose Mourinho have agreed to part company today (Thursday) by mutual consent.
CHELSEA FC have confirmed Jose Mourinho is no longer the club's manager having left "by mutual consent".
A statement on the club's website reads: "Chelsea Football Club and Jose Mourinho have agreed to part company today (Thursday) by mutual consent.''
The shock announcement follows reports Mourinho contacted several senior players late last night to tell them he was leaving the club.
An emergency meeting of the club's hierachy was called to discuss the situation and former Israel coach Avram Grant, director of football since the summer, is expected to take charge of the side for Sunday's premier league game against Manchester United.
Mourinho led the club to two premier league titles after joining the club in June 2004 but Chelsea have made a disappointing start to this season and are currently fifth in the league.
The teams disappointing 1-1 draw with Rosenborg in their opening Champions League game on Tuesday night was played in front of fewer than 25,000 fans.
- 1 Suffolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 3 Sainsbury's and Harvester evacuated after fire breaks out
- 4 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 5 More than 550 homes without power as fallen tree takes down overhead cables
- 6 Woman in 70s dies in hospital after serious crash in east Suffolk
- 7 'Peaceful' Suffolk coastal town named one of the best in the UK
- 8 New homes plan submitted for controversial Suffolk site
- 9 Five new flats to replace redundant builder's yard
- 10 Woodbridge café adds extra outside seats due to high demand from customers
He still had three years left on a contract worth £6.5million a year.