Murphy and McGoldrick both in Ireland squad for European Championships warm-up friendly
Ipswich Town strikers Daryl Murphy and David McGoldrick have both been named in a 35-man Republic of Ireland squad ahead of their final warm-up match ahead of this summer’s European Championships, against Holland on May 27.
Murphy, 33, missed the last eight games of Town’s season with a slight calf tear, his absence coinciding with McGoldrick’s return to the team following a hamstring tear.
Having earned a recall to the international set-up during his 27-goal campaign of 2014/15, Murphy scored 10 times in 35 appearances as the Blues finished seventh in the Championship table this time around.
McGoldrick’s talismanic form during his first year at Portman Road saw Leicester City make a multi-million pound bid and Ireland call him up for the first time after discovering family links to the nation.
He’s since endured two seasons of stop-start injury frustration, all manner of set-backs keeping him sidelined, but the silky forward enjoyed a highly encouraging finish to the campaign, scoring two goals in the last two games to cap some influential displays.
You may also want to watch:
Ireland boss Martin O’Neill will finalise his squad for the Euros the day after the Holland game ahead of a training camp at Fota Island, Cork, which will include a second friendly against Belarus, with the party due to head out to France on June 8.
Other forwards in the squad include 35-year-old skipper Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy), Jonathan Walters (Stoke), Shane Long (Southampton) and Kevin Doyle (Colorado Rapids).
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 4 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 5 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 6 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 7 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Over 4,000 people test positive for Covid with cases continuing to rise
- 10 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
Ireland are in a Group E alongside Belgium, Itlay and Sweden for the bumper 24-team tournament.