Navas deal set to go through

CESAR Navas will be an Ipswich Town player before next Friday - if all goes according to plan.Malaga are today considering an offer from Ipswich Town for the centre-half with both clubs wanting a deal done before the transfer window closes at the end of this month.

By Derek Davis

CESAR Navas will be an Ipswich Town player before next Friday - if all goes according to plan.

Malaga are today considering an offer from Ipswich Town for the centre-half with both clubs wanting a deal done before the transfer window closes at the end of this month.

Town chairman David Sheepshanks last night confirmed an offer had been made and said: “We are in positive dialogue with Malaga but nothing has been agreed.”


You may also want to watch:


Sheepshanks refused to discuss how much Town had offered but Malaga, who are in the Spanish version of administration, have made it known they have come down from their original valuation of nearly £500,000 and are now asking £100,000 up front plus another £100,000 depending on appearances.

The deal would be dependent on 27-year-old Navas agreeing personal terms, which his agent has already spoken with Ipswich Town about, and passing a medical.

Most Read

Navas impressed sufficiently in a pre-season game at Crawley Town to convince the Blues to make the offer even though he will not be fit to play until at least October. The former Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund player fractured a metatarsal in that friendly.

Town need to secure the 6ft 4ins defender before the close of business next Friday to ensure that he will be able to play as soon as he is fit - otherwise they will have to wait until the transfer window re-opens in January.

It is notoriously difficult to gauge recovery times with foot injuries with Jason De Vos and Sylvain Legwinski examples of how players respond differently.

With Fabian Wilnis suspended for three games Town have little cover at the back, although Blues first-team coach Bryan Klug insists they still have options.

Owen Garvan stepped into the breach at Plymouth, while Northern Ireland Under-21 defender Chris Casement has stepped up in the past.

Klug said: “Owen volunteered when there was mayhem as we were trying to get substitutions sorted. He has always told me he would be great at centre half and he did well.

“Chris Casement never let us down when he played last season and David Wright can play there too. We would not hesitate to put Sito at right back if needed.”

It is also possible that Town will look to bring in a loan defender if the Navas deal falls through but they would have to wait until mid-September until the emergency loan window opens if they don't sort anything else out before Friday.

Klug said: “We are monitoring one or two situations and looking to cover all eventualities.

“There is not a lot of time left for permanent deals but we have the option of loans.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter