Needham apprentices mix it with former Ipswich Town stars
A SELECTION of youngsters from Needham Market’s Apprentice Scheme got a taste of the big time recently when they were given the chance to rub shoulders with a clutch of former pros.
The boys joined the likes of former Ipswich legends, John Wark and Simon Milton, and fellow ex-pros Gerard Nash and Steve McGavin in the annual game, held at Playford Road, against Lloyds of London.
The game ended 3-3 with McGavin grabbing a couple of goals and was a great experience according to Needham Market’s head of education, Paul Appleby.
“It was an excellent opportunity for our young lads and they did not want the game to end,” he said.
“They were playing with the likes of John Wark, who was communicating and organising them and encouraging them to play the ball out from the back.
You may also want to watch:
“It was an experience that I am sure they will remember for a long time.”
Meanwhile, an open evening is being held at Needham Market on December 12, which will give an insight into the club’s Apprenticeship Scheme.
- 1 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 2 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 3 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 4 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 5 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 6 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 7 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 8 Crash between two motorbikes
- 9 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
- 10 Ipswich closing in on Coulson loan signing
The evening will give prospective apprentices the chance to quiz Paul Appleby and Academy Manager, Kevin Horlock, before watching the current apprentices in action.
The event begins at 7.30pm.