Sheriff strike sees Marketmen end season as Suffolk’s top non-league club
- Credit: Archant
Evo-Stik Southern Premier Central Needham Market 1 Alvechurch 0 Needham Market finished the season as Suffolk’s top non league club following a 1-0 victory over Alvechurch, writes Drew Kendall.
The goal came on the stroke of half-time, after Sturgess’ corner wasn’t dealt with on-loan Colchester United striker Decarrey Sheriff smashed into the net from close range.
Needham could have made it 2-0 on 53 minutes, as Sheriff’s shot was blocked with Jake Dye putting the rebound over the unguarded net. Alvechurch’s best chance came on 63 minutes as the play-off contestants glanced a header wide of the far post.
Seven minutes later meanwhile, Needham went close again after Adam Mills ran through into the box to square across to Joe Marsden with an open goal, but he couldn’t get it on target.
Mills was involved again a minute later, the winger’s chipped shot was palmed superbly by the Alvechurch keeper onto the top of the bar for a corner.
You may also want to watch:
Mills then smashed just wide of far post soon after, before the winger’s shot drew a great diving save from the keeper across to his right with three minutes left.
The win sees Needham finish 11th in the table.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 3 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 4 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 5 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 6 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 7 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 8 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 9 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 10 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season