Needham chairman can’t hide his disappointment
NEEDHAM Market chairman David Bugg could not hide his disappointment after seeing his side’s promotion dream wrecked.
Needham were beaten 3-1 at home by Brentwood Town in the Ryman League Division One North play-off semi-final last night to end their hopes of promotion to the Premier Division at the first attempt.
The Suffolk side, who had been unbeaten at home all season and finished 18 points clear of their opponents, were unable to produce when it mattered most despite taking the lead.
Needham were bidding for back-to-back promotions after winning the Ridgeons League last season, and Bugg said: “It is terribly disappointing to finish 18 points ahead of them and then lose in a one-off game.
“Perhaps we peaked too early, and in the second half of the season sides found us out a bit. We had a magnificent January, but we have struggled in the last six weeks.
You may also want to watch:
“But it has still been a magnificent season for us in our first season at this level, and the boys have done the club proud.”
Bugg revealed that manager Danny Laws was close to signing a one-year extension to his contract, which will take him up to the summer of 2014.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 6 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 7 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 8 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 9 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 10 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
“If we can keep all our players together I am sure we will be in the running for promotion again next season,” added Bugg, who club have a pre-season friendly arranged against Ipswich Town at Bloomfields on Wednesday, July 27.