Needham Market coast to comfortable win at St Neots
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Town 0 Needham Market 3
Needham Market coasted to their second league win in the space of just four days, thanks to a dominant display at lowly St Neots Town tonight.
Adam Baker, Tariq Issa and Daniel Morphew were the goalscorers as Richard Wilkins’ men followed up Saturday’s 2-1 home success over Stratford Town with an emphatic result at Rowley Park, in what was the first league meeting between the two clubs.
The Marketmen were in control for most of the first half, and should really have been more than just one goal ahead at the break.
In fact, they could have taken the lead inside the first couple of minutes, when captain Gareth Heath volleyed wide from point blank range, following a fine cross by Adam Mills.
You may also want to watch:
But they did break the deadlock on 11 minutes with a well-worked goal. Mills fed Callum Sturgess and the left-back whipped over a low cross for Baker to gleefully volley home at the near post, from close in. It was a lethal finish.
Baker continued to lead the front-line to good effect, and he trapped a through ball to set up a chance for himself in the 23rd minute, although his final shot was straight at keeper Harry Reynolds. A minute later and livewire Mills connected with a powerful drive which the busy Reynolds did well to parry.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 5 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 6 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
- 8 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 9 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 10 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
St Neots, hovering just above the relegation zone with three league wins all season, rarely threatened, although a rising shot by Dylan Williams did strike a post before rebounding across the six-yard box for keeper Jake Jessup to gratefully gather.
Otherwise, the Suffolk visitors remained in the ascendancy. Livewire Mills headed a foot wide from Jake Dye’s excellent cross in the 34th minute, and then saw his goalbound drive superbly kept out by Reynolds just a minute later.
A mix-up between a defender and Reynolds did gift Needham the crucial second goal, in the 58th minute, with Issa presented with the simple task of sliding into an unguarded net.
And Needham added a third just 10 minutes later, thanks to a towering header by Daniel Morphew from Issa’s corner.
NEEDHAM: Jessop, Dye, Sturgess, Squire (sub Dobson, 78), K Morphew, D Morphew, Ingram, Heath, Baker (sub Griffiths, 86), Issa (sub Kamanzi, 78), Mills. Unused subs: Marsden, Shorten.