Needham Market release trio
- Credit: Ashley Pickering
THREE players have been released as Needham Market manager Mark Morsley starts to revamp his squad ahead of next season.
Goalkeeper Louis Johnson and midfield duo Duane Wright and Bradley Barber have all been told they will not be offered new deals – and a couple more players could be heading for the exit door at Bloomfields, in addition to skipper Pip Boyland deciding to go travelling.
Barber, who previously played for Hadleigh United and Felixstowe & Walton United, is the longest serving of the trio. He joined Needham Market following their promotion from the Ridgeons League in 2009/10 and has been a key component of the Marketmen’s midfield ever since.
Former Whitton United and Hadleigh United player Wright joined Needham after the club narrowly failed to win promotion from Division One North at the end of their first season in the Ryman League.
Ex-Debenham LC and Hadleigh United keeper Johnson joined Needham Market earlier this season, after being released by Ryman League Premier Division Leiston where Morsley was manager at the time.
Morsley, who took over at the Ryman League Division One North club in late March, said: “The decisions are based around the direction I want to take the club in.
“I am looking to build a squad with hungry young players with great potential and an average age of 21 or 22, added to which there will be experienced players in key positions.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 3 Stu says: Seven observations following Wimbledon win
- 4 'We were harshly beaten' - Dons boss on Town defeat
- 5 Photographer secretly recorded couple in bedroom of his Suffolk holiday home
- 6 'I'm not here to settle' - Walton sets sights high after permanent Town move
- 7 'I lost my patience... that's how I roll' - Holt apology for 'derogatory' Morsy comments
- 8 'A real gent' - Father raising awareness of rare cancer passes away aged 61
- 9 Man found with 10,000 indecent images escapes jail
- 10 Award-winning east Suffolk restaurant temporarily closes ahead of takeover
“Bradley Barber is technically one of the best footballers in the region. He is a very talented player but the way I am looking to play doesn’t suit his style of play.
“Duane Wright is nearly 30 and at the stage of his career where he wants to be playing week in, week out and I can’t offer him that.
“I like Louis Johnson a lot – he is a great guy but I am looking for more experience in what is a key position.
“There could be one or two others leaving, but I have not been able to contact them yet to talk to them, while Pip Boyland, who won the club’s supporters’ player of the year award, is going travelling.”
Morsley said that Needham had arranged two high-profile pre-season fixtures at Bloomfields. They will entertain a Colchester United XI on July 26 and an Ipswich Town XI, although the date for that fixture has yet to be confirmed.