Needham Market sent tumbling out of the FA Cup at the hands of Stanway Rovers.

Ollie Fenn was at fault for the first Stanway goal

Ollie Fenn was at fault for the first Stanway goal - Credit: Archant

Nine-man Needham Market were sent tumbling out of the FA Cup last night, at the hands of Thurlow Nunn Premier Division side Stanway Rovers.

A fully-deserved result, it was an embarrassing night for the Marketmen, who were well-beaten even before second-half red cards for goalkeeper Shaun Phillips and substitute Adam Mills.

Determined for an upset, it didn’t take Stanway long to seize the early initiative as they opened the scoring after just nine minutes.

Ollie Fenn made a mess of dealing with Dan Heath’s long goal-kick, and Jake Clowsley powered home emphatically.

An embarrassing goal to concede at any level, Stanway’s second, 11 minutes later, was even worse from a Needham view – Phillips calamitously dropping a long throw before hauling a Stanway forward down, with Craig Hughes gleefully smashing the spot-kick into the net.

You may also want to watch:

Jemel Fox could have made it three soon after as he glanced a header wide after terrific work from Ben Newson, but worse was to come for the Suffolk side when Jordan Palmer scrambled home following a free-kick.

Kem Izzet was booked for dissent, and the Marketmen were nothing short of a mess heading into the interval.

Most Read

Despite plying their trade two leagues below Needham, it was Stanway who were looking by far the stronger, quicker, and more organised outfit, and with the determination to match.

Out early for the second period, Needham’s task was almost made an impossible one when goalkeeper Phillips was sent off just moments into the re-start following an off-the-ball collision.

Tyler Hursey deputised in goal, and the Suffolk side actually improved with their numerical disadvantage, only for Mills to receive his marching orders in the 77th minute for an ill-timed tackle on Clowsley.

Stanway’s reward is a home tie against Staines Town in the second round of qualifying on September 26.

Rovers were not the only Thurlow Nunn side to advance in the FA Cup last night, as Mildenhall Town defeated North Greenford United by a single Luke Catchpole goal.

In the Ryman North, AFC Sudbury defeated Witham 2-1, while Bury Town drew 1-1 away at Dereham Town.

Felixstowe & Walton beat Ipswich Wanderers 2-1 in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, while Brantham Athletic had a fine 4-1 win over Long Melford.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus