Needham Market Under 18’s push Stevenage Under 18’s all the way in FA Youth Cup
Needham Market Under 18’s pushed Stevenage Under 18’s all the way in the club’s first ever appearance in the First Round Proper of the FA Youth Cup last night, as the Suffolk side just missed out - losing 4-3.
In front of an excellent 255-strong crowd at League Two side Stevenage’s Lamex Stadium, Kevin Horlock’s side very nearly caused a major upset as the Suffolk side conceded a cruel 90th-minute winner just as the game looked like it was about to enter extra-time.
Brandon Carney’s late strike at the death sinked Needham, who more than held their own against football league opposition as Adam Mills (two) and Taylor Bannister scored for the Marketmen.
Needham got off to the worst possible start as Jack Storer opened the scoring after less than a minute played, but Mills equalised from the penalty spot, before Jamie Silvester reasserted Stevenage’s lead.
Brandon Carney then seemingly made the tie safe for the hosts, but a superb fightback from Needham with goals in a three-minute spell midway through the second half from Mills and Bannister saw the youngsters seemingly force extra-time.
You may also want to watch:
But Carney popped up late on to break Needham hearts, in a game, day, and competition they can be very proud of.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 7 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 8 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 9 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
- 10 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One