Never a dull moment when Frank Carson was around
WHEN comedian Frank Carson was introduced to the local press, on being appointed to the Colchester United board of directors in 1986, he was not short of a joke or two.
Larger-than-life Carson is reported to have welcomed the press with the words – “I deny I have bought myself another joke!”
Then-U’s chairman Jonathan Crisp recruited Carson as a fund-raising celebrity, and the Belfast-born funny man was certainly a bundle of laughs during his 18-month stay as director.
Alas, Carson died on Wednesday night, after losing his battle against cancer, aged 85.
John Schultz, the U’s current commercial consultant, was vice-chairman when Carson arrived at Layer Road.
You may also want to watch:
Yesterday, Schultz recalled the favourable impact made by Carson during his time with the U’s.
“Frank was an incredible character,” explained Schultz.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 3 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 4 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 5 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's clash with Crystal Palace
- 6 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 7 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 8 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 9 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 10 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
“He was exactly the sort of fellow that you saw on the stage. He carried that into the boardroom, he carried that into the vice-presidents’ lounge, and he carried it onto the pitch.
“It was the same Frank Carson, everyday everytime.
“I remember when I was out on a promotion with Frank, I heard the same joke 30 times, but he still managed to make people laugh. It was only me that was suffering a little bit!
“He was a tremendous man, a big family man.
“He was certainly the most interesting director, in many ways, we could have ever had at the club.”