New deals close for Hyam and Smith but McCarthy expects Jay Tabb to leave Ipswich Town
Mick McCarthy expects Tommy Smith and Luke Hyam to sign new deals following ‘positive’ discussions, but the Ipswich Town boss admitted Jay Tabb’s time at Portman Road is likely to be coming to an end.
Smith and Hyam’s deals are up at the end of the season, with the club having an option for an extra year on both, with discussions underway for extensions on top of that.
McCarthy doesn’t expect there to be any problems in extending the homegrown duo’s time at Portman Road.
“We’re in discussions. I’ve started the ball rolling with Marcus and he’s talking with their agents,” he said.
“I’m sure we’ll come to an agreement because both of them are happy here.”
You may also want to watch:
One player unlikely to be staying with the club beyond the end of the season is Jay Tabb, with the midfielder yet to make a league appearance for the Blues this season.
“There is every chance Tabby will move on in the summer but for now he’s still one of our players,” McCarthy said.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 3 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 6 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 7 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
- 8 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 9 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in A14 crash
- 10 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
“Tabby will know that, he’s not played many games this season, but when he first came here he was one of the reasons we stayed up. He added so much to us.
“I remember his debut at Peterborough, he was great, he’s just a little dynamo that keeps going. He’s well-loved and respected by all the fans for what he does.
“We’ll see, but he’ll probably be one that moves on.
“He’s uncomplicated, low-maintenance, a terrific guy and a really top, top pro.”