Whitton United swoop for four young players as Coldron keeps faith in youth
- Credit: Archant
Whitton United have swooped to sign four young players ahead of the new season.
Greens’ boss Shane Coldron admitted to being ‘delighted’ with his summer captures as Whitton continue to put their faith in youth – almost 80% of their first-team squad is now 21 and under.
Regan Pelling, 19, Nick Ingram, 20, Stefano Mallardo, 20 and Adam Dunnage 18, are the four new players who have agreed to join the Step 5 club, who won promotion to the Thurlow Nunn Premier League last season.
It is a big boost to Coldron and Whitton.
“I’m really delighted to have sourced these summer targets and retain the exciting young players already at the club,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“My philosophy of attracting, coaching and developing some of the best local young talent is what excites me about the current Whitton Utd squad.
“With almost 80% of the squad under 21, my aim is to establish Whitton as a force in this league in the coming years. I also want to assist these young players to return back to Step 3 and 4 as better players in the coming years.
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 3 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 4 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 5 Overturned trailer causing delays on roundabout near Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 7 Suffolk-based former Marine found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 8 Fiat 500 on its side after crash in Woodbridge
- 9 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 10 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
“While the board have stated the target for us is to stay up and ensure sustainability is achieved for the long term, I believe the new additions in conjunction with the talented retained squad, means we can achieve more than that.
“With some of the older squad players commitments changing, we needed to seek new additions.
“However, with the tougher Step 5 challenge the quality had to be of certain standard as well, but keep within the development philosophy and budget of our club.”
Woodbridge, Framlingham and Whitton made it a Suffolk 1-2-3 in Thurlow Nunn One last season and all three will look to consolidate their place at Step 5 in the season ahead.
Pelling, Ingram, Mallardo and Dunnage have plenty of experience at higher levels despite their young years, while Condron added that, “the experienced players who were vital in achieving promotion last season have also been retained and play a key role in the development philosophy of the younger players in the squad.”
Whitton’s pre-season friendlies include: Wivenhoe Town, Felixstowe & Walton, Cranes, Witham and Ipswich Wanderers.