New signing Bradley Garmston ready for U’s challenge
- Credit: contributed
NEW signing Bradley Garmston is looking forward to the challenge of helping Colchester United to pull clear of the League One relegation zone.
Garmston has today signed on loan for the U’s, from Premier League club West Brom, initially on a one-month loan deal.
The young left-back, who is a regular in the Baggies’ under-21 development side, has yet to make a first team appearance for the Midlands club.
But he is very highly regarded by West Brom, and by U’s boss Joe Dunne, who was delighted to secure the defender ahead of this weekend’s tough trip to Sheffield United.
“This move has come as a bit of a surprise to me,” revealed Garmston this morning.
You may also want to watch:
“But it is fantastic that the gaffer (Dunne) has shown some faith in me. I know that he has come down to watch some of my games.
“It’s brilliant that he has shown his belief in me.”
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk
Chorley-born Garmston, who turned 19 last month, is renowned for his pace, which is not surprising when considered that his mother, Sonia Lannaman, won Commonwealth Games gold as a sprinter.
Garmston himself was second at the England Schools National Athletics Championships, over 200 metres, in his age group two years ago.
His mother won a bronze medal at the Moscow Olympics in 1980, as part of the 4x100m relay team, two years after winning gold in the individual 100m at the Commonwealth Games.