Newmarket Academy lift Suffolk youth cricket crown
- Credit: Archant
Newmarket Academy’s cricket team are celebrating after winning a Suffolk Under 13s championship, writes Dave Gooderham.
The school overcame a number of teams including Castle Manor Academy, IES Breckland and Holbrook before taking their place in the final against Benjamin Britten School from Lowestoft.
In the final, Newmarket lost the toss and batted first, setting a total of 78 off the 7 overs allowed.
Captain Muhammed Ubaid scored an impressive 25 runs, including a six off the last ball, ably assisted by Cian Long’s 23 before bowling their opposition out with impressive bowling from Hilal Ahmed and Vikram Singh.
Assistant principal and cricket coach, Neil Fisher, said: “It’s a great day for all of us at Newmarket Academy.
You may also want to watch:
“I am so proud of the boys, who showed composure under pressure and humility in victory.”
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 3 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 4 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 5 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 6 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 7 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 8 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 9 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 10 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season