Newmarket SC and Deben taste success in Suffolk ASA Winter League final at Ipswich’s Crown Pools
- Credit: Archant
Clubs from across Suffolk came together at Crown Pools in Ipswich this month for the final of the Suffolk Amateur Swimming Association Winter League.
In a departure from previous years, and earlier rounds, the final on Saturday, January 14 was held at one location instead of two events being run simultaneously at different pools.
It follows a successful trial of this format in the 2016 Summer League.
An exciting afternoon of racing saw Newmarket and District SC crowned champions after amassing 25 event wins from 43 races to go with their results from the first two rounds. Among the victories were seven of the eight relays held on the day.
Newmarket also had the top scoring boys’ squad over the course of the league season.
You may also want to watch:
To add to the team success swimmers including Maeve Pooley, Tess Wesley, Joseph Bavey and Harry Saunders swam a total of 15 personal best times in a variety of events.
The club’s head coach Annette Skeet said: “Words cannot describe my feelings tonight: Euphoric, proud, they just keep coming.
- 1 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 2 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 9 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
“I am so very proud of all our swimmers, not only those that swam tonight but all those who helped our great club lift not only the top team trophy but also the top boys’ trophy from the combination of all three rounds.”
Also tasting success on the night was Deben SC, which picked up the award for the top girls’ team.
The club finished third in the overall standings and also third in the boys’ team table, with both of their ‘joker’ swimmers Lewis Moore and Minnie Wayman (who score double points in one event) picking up maximum scores.
Taking second place in the league was West Suffolk SC.
The trophies were presented by Suffolk ASA president Sarah Elmer at the end of the gala.
Winter League final table
Team Girls Boys Team
Newmarket 551 600 1246
West Suffolk 519 555 1160
Deben 561 491 1124
Felixstowe 509 419 982
Stowmarket 427 437 913
L&OB Blue 435 400 889
Beccles 361 433 849
Leiston 392 389 844
L&OB Yellow 263 238 530
Mildenhall 134 176 320
Halstead 110 126 247