Newmarket Town celebrating promotion
NEWMARKET Town are today celebrating winning promotion to the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division without kicking a ball.
The Jockeys secured an immediate return to the top flight after just one season back in Division One as a result of fourth-placed Saffron Walden Town’s 1-0 loss at Swaffham Town last night.
Newmarket, who have been challenging at the top of the table all season, have secured promotion with six matches still remaining. They are currently top with 70 points, while Saffron Walden’s defeat means they can only reach a maximum of 67 points.
With promotion assured Kevin Grainger and Karl Johnson’s team can take another step towards securing the Division One title when they travel to face Braintree Town Reserves tonight.
Cambridge University Press, who are second, drew 1-1 at home last night to third-placed Brightlingsea Regent.
You may also want to watch:
CUP announced last week that they will be leaving the Thurlow Nunn League at the end of the season as they are unable to continue their groundshare agreement with Histon and are unable to find a suitable alternative.
Only teams finishing in the top three will be eligible for promotion, which means Saffron Walden’s defeat is a big blow to their hopes of finishing in the first three places.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 5 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 6 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete