Newson aims to continue goalscoring form for Needham Market
SAM Newson has been scoring goals for fun this season – and Needham Market could seriously do with him continuing his fine form tomorrow.
Top-of-the-table Needham entertain Grays, who have an identical playing record so far this season and are second on goal difference, in the match of the day in Ryman League Division One North at Bloomfields.
Newson, who lives in East Bergholt, joined Needham at the start of last season and scored 25 times as they finished runners-up before losing to Brentwood Town in the play-off semi-final.
The 23-year-old striker has already netted 27 goals in all competitions for the Marketmen this season, and not surprisingly his tally of 19 league goals means he is the leading scorer in the entire Ryman League.
Newson, who has hit a rich vein of form since the arrival of Jose Espinosa and a switch of formation, said: “We have started the season really well as a team, and I don’t mind who scores so long as we are progressing towards promotion.
You may also want to watch:
“We started off playing 4-5-1, but as soon as Jose came in we have played 4-4-2, and it seems to have suited us better than a 4-5-1 formation.
“I have scored 19 in 15 games since we switched to playing 4-4-2. I have always preferred playing alongside someone, although I don’t mind playing upfront on my own, and I have played out on the left as well this season. I think I have been more clinical – most of my goals have been as a result of being in the right place – and I have only scored one, against Woodbridge Town, from outside the box. But I still can’t score with my head – I have only got one this season, which is not a good ratio!”
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 3 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 4 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 5 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 6 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 7 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 10 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
Newson, who banged in 34 league goals for Ridgeons League Premier Division side Stanway Rovers in the 2009/10 campaign prior to moving to Needham, has already nearly reached his initial target for this term.
“My target was 30 goals for the season, and in the past I have said if I can get anything above that then it is a bonus, so I may have to have a re-think after Christmas.”
While Brantham Athletic’s Ollie Mann has attracted the interest of Football League clubs in the past year while being equally prolific at a lower level, Needham have not had a single enquiry for their ace marksman.
Newson, whose two-year contract expires this summer, said: “Every player who is ambitious wants to play at a higher level, and if someone comes knocking on the door I will listen to them.
But I am not aware of any interest from Football League clubs and am just concentrating on my football with Needham,” he added.