‘No ill effects’ reveals McGreal after Colchester United’s pre-sesaon victory
- Credit: Richard Blaxall / Colchester United
Four of Colchester United’s long-term injury victims made a welcome return to competitive action, during Saturday’s 2-0 win at Maldon & Tiptree in the opening pre-season friendly of the summer.
Midfielder Craig Slater, centre-half Frankie Kent, striker Denny Johnstone and attacker Sammie Szmodics all enjoyed run-outs at Park Drive, having missed large chunks of the second half of last term.
“The main concern for me today was those injury boys coming through, with no ill effects” explained U’s boss McGreal.
“It was a good afternoon’s work, it was a mental thing to try and get through it.
”Doug Loft, who himself missed most of last season through injury, broke the deadlock in the 43rd minute, with teenage midfielder Louis Dunne adding the second 10 minutes into the second half.
You may also want to watch:
McGreal added: “Louis (Dunne) got his goal, and his overall display, his cuteness and cleverness, was there for all to see.”
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 6 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 7 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 8 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 9 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 10 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook