“No one could begrudge us this win” – Colchester United boss Tony Humes
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
Colchester United boss, Tony Humes, felt that his side fully deserved to win tonight’s dramatic showdown at Sheffield United, which ended in a 3-2 victory for the plcuky visitors.
“It’s hard to take it all in, with what has happened tonight,” admitted Humes.
“But I thought we deserved to win the match, that’s for sure.
“It’s great to come away from Bramall Lane with three points.
“I thought we were superb in the first half. We scored two goals and we could have scored a few more.
You may also want to watch:
“We had other chances, but Sheffield United were always going to come back into it at some stage.
“I thought we defended well, and I don’t think anyone can begrudge us this win,” added Humes.
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 4 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 5 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 6 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 7 Affordable homes project proposed for Suffolk village
- 8 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker
- 9 Winners and losers: Hollywood ending, Bersant is back, fans get their wish
- 10 Karl Fuller: 'We should bottle the feeling of our last five days'
George Moncur’s first-half brace put the U’s 2-0 up, before Billy Sharp halved the deficit with a twice-taken penalty in the 51st minute.
Martyn Woolford equalised in the 61st minute, before Marvin Sordell regained the lead for the U’s with a deflected shot on 82 minutes.
Jamie Jones then saved Sharp’s 87th minute penalty, after George Elokobi had been sent off for a professional foul, to seal the win.