No win in 10 games for Colchester United, as Ched Evans nets the winner for Chesterfield in the FA Cup
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United 1 Chesterfield 2
Ched Evans scored the winner as Colchester United bowed out of the FA Cup at the first round stage this afternoon, at the hands of League One visitors Chesterfield.
As a result, the U’s win-less has been stretched to 10 games, in all competitions. They have not won a match in eight weeks.
Jay O’Shea broke the deadlock in the 23rd minute, to put Chesterfield 1-0 up.
The U’s defence was opened up by an accurate pass from Kristian Dennis into the path of an unmarked O’Shea, and the Spireites midfielder calmly slotted a low shot beyond Sam Walker and into the bottom corner of the net.
You may also want to watch:
Chesterfield had not scored in any of their previous six league games, so this was a big moment for Danny Wilson’s men.
After a sluggish start, the Us began to improve as the second half went on, and Spireites keeper Ryan Fulton was forced into his first real save in the 40th minute.
- 1 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 2 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 3 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 4 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 5 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 6 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 7 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 9 Blues ratings: How Town players performed in the draw at Charlton
- 10 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
Drey Wright skipped past a couple of challenges inside the penalty area to open up a route to goal, but his final shot was blocked by the onrushing Fulton.
The hosts took just 53 seconds of the second half to grab the equaliser.
On as a half-time substitute, Tarique Fosu crashed home a low drive from a narrow angle. It was the perfect way for Fosu to mark his 21st birthday.
Luke Prosser hit the bar with a 50th minute header, as the U’s enjoyed the ascendancy for a brief period, but just 60 seconds later and Chesterfield regained their lead.
A free-kick was headed on by centre-half Tom Anderson in the direction of Evans, and he lashed home a clean volley from 10 yards out.
The U’s still had 40 minutes to fashion an equaliser, but they could not find a way back into the game to force a replay, although substitute Macauley Bonne did have a couple of late efforts well saved by Fulton.
COLCHESTER: Walker, Brindley, Prosser, Eastman, Wynter (sub Dunne, 89), Vincent-Young (sub Fosu, 46), Slater, Guthrie, Wright, Szmodics (sub Bonne, 79), Johnstone. Unused subs: Barnes, Lapslie, Kent, Kamara.
CHESTERFIELD: Fulton, Evatt, Liddle, Anderson Donohue, O’Neil (sub Nolan, 68), Dimaio, Ayribi, O’Shea, Evans, Dennis. Unused subs: German, Mitchell, Allinson, Simons, Maguire, Graham.
Referee: Lee Probert
Attendance: 1,840 (194 away fans)