No win in 10 games for Colchester United, as Ched Evans nets the winner for Chesterfield in the FA Cup

Tarique Fosu is congratulated by team-mates Sammie Szmodics and Denny Johnstone after scoring to lev

Tarique Fosu is congratulated by team-mates Sammie Szmodics and Denny Johnstone after scoring to level the score at 1-1 in this afternoon's FA Cup tie against Chesterfield. - Credit: Picture: Steve Waller

Colchester United 1 Chesterfield 2

Ched Evans scored the winner as Colchester United bowed out of the FA Cup at the first round stage this afternoon, at the hands of League One visitors Chesterfield.

As a result, the U’s win-less has been stretched to 10 games, in all competitions. They have not won a match in eight weeks.

Jay O’Shea broke the deadlock in the 23rd minute, to put Chesterfield 1-0 up.

The U’s defence was opened up by an accurate pass from Kristian Dennis into the path of an unmarked O’Shea, and the Spireites midfielder calmly slotted a low shot beyond Sam Walker and into the bottom corner of the net.

Chesterfield had not scored in any of their previous six league games, so this was a big moment for Danny Wilson’s men.

After a sluggish start, the Us began to improve as the second half went on, and Spireites keeper Ryan Fulton was forced into his first real save in the 40th minute.

Most Read

Drey Wright skipped past a couple of challenges inside the penalty area to open up a route to goal, but his final shot was blocked by the onrushing Fulton.

The hosts took just 53 seconds of the second half to grab the equaliser.

On as a half-time substitute, Tarique Fosu crashed home a low drive from a narrow angle. It was the perfect way for Fosu to mark his 21st birthday.

Luke Prosser hit the bar with a 50th minute header, as the U’s enjoyed the ascendancy for a brief period, but just 60 seconds later and Chesterfield regained their lead.

A free-kick was headed on by centre-half Tom Anderson in the direction of Evans, and he lashed home a clean volley from 10 yards out.

The U’s still had 40 minutes to fashion an equaliser, but they could not find a way back into the game to force a replay, although substitute Macauley Bonne did have a couple of late efforts well saved by Fulton.


COLCHESTER: Walker, Brindley, Prosser, Eastman, Wynter (sub Dunne, 89), Vincent-Young (sub Fosu, 46), Slater, Guthrie, Wright, Szmodics (sub Bonne, 79), Johnstone. Unused subs: Barnes, Lapslie, Kent, Kamara.

CHESTERFIELD: Fulton, Evatt, Liddle, Anderson Donohue, O’Neil (sub Nolan, 68), Dimaio, Ayribi, O’Shea, Evans, Dennis. Unused subs: German, Mitchell, Allinson, Simons, Maguire, Graham.

Referee: Lee Probert

Attendance: 1,840 (194 away fans)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter