Non-league football round-up

BRAINTREE and Needham Market made progress in the FA Trophy and FA Vase at the weekend while there were derby wins in Ryman League Division One North for AFC Sudbury against Maldon Town and Witham Town against Bury Town.

BRAINTREE and Needham Market made progress in the FA Trophy and FA Vase at the weekend while there were derby wins in Ryman League Division One North for AFC Sudbury against Maldon Town and Witham Town against Bury Town.


Gloucester 0 Braintree Town 2

BRAINTREE progressed to the second round of the FA Trophy on Saturday with a solid performance.

You may also want to watch:

The Iron started brightly with captain Bradley Quinton, a welcome sight back in the side after a long injury lay-off, soon in the action by firing in a shot from 15 yards out that had Sawyer in the Gloucester goal scrambling along his line to save.

Gloucester's best spell came midway through the half when they could have taken the lead but chances for Sykes and Smith were saved by Iron keeper Nicky Morgan.

Most Read

Braintree then took the lead just before half time. A long throw caused confusion in the Gloucester area allowing Russ Edwards to flick on to Bradley Quinton, whose volley gave Sawyer no chance.

Braintree could have added to the score early in the second half when first Billy Burgess flashed a header just wide then James Hawes struck a shot against a post.

The Iron's second goal came with 20 minutes to go when a Robbie Martin free kick deep into the area found Burgess at the far post and he made no mistake to score with a low shot.

As Gloucester threw men forward in the closing minutes the Iron could have added to their tally, with Sullivan and Martin both spurning chances when clean through.

Braintree now look forward to the second round draw and a possible lucrative tie against a Blue Square national side.


Heybridge Swifts 1 Harlow 0

A WELL-TAKEN goal in the 30th minute from Stafford Browne was enough to secure maximum spoils for Swifts and continue their rise up the Premier Division table to ninth spot.

With Adam Gillespie making his 400th appearance for the club, his energy and influence in midfield alongside the terrier-like Robbie King, enabled Swifts to gain an early grip on the game, one that they never looked like relinquishing.

Having weathered some early pressure from the visitors - Ian Wiles, with one outstanding tackle, and Richard McKinney saving comfortably low down from Dean Williams - Swifts took control of the game, with Mark Reddaway working hard up front to give the Harlow defence a torrid time.

Browne broke the deadlock with a well-taken goal after James Hassel in the Harlow goal made a mess of a clearance.

Former Swift Danny Hill was a thorn in the side of the Heybridge rearguard, one jinking run almost producing a goal and James Bunn volleyed wide for Harlow after good work from Leon Lalite.

Substitute David Wareham produced a fine run for Swifts but a poor cross meant the move broke down. Daryl Bourgeois had the best chance for Heybridge, but he shot high after the ball ran loose from a free kick.

Ryan Hull started in place of the injured Tobi Janadu and gave a solid and consistent display at right-back while Wiles returned to his more accustomed central defensive duties.

It was a hard-working and convincing team performance from Swifts, who now face the top two sides in the league in succession, and a great test for their new-found form and confidence.

Boreham Wood 4 Chelmsford 2

CHELMSFORD were knocked off the top of the table as poor defending allowed promotion outsiders Boreham Wood to notch four goals at Meadow Park.

Jeff King's visitors got off to the best possible start when, as early as the second minute, Stuart Ainsley's right-sided free-kick picked out Ricky Holmes who toe-poked home from close range.

But the 29th minute brought about an equaliser as Simon Thomas sprinted down the left before supplying a ball into the box which Chris Watters gobbled up to equalise for his team.

City fell behind within six minutes of the restart, keeper Danny Gay pushing a shot away from danger but Elliot Onochie's cross back towards goal crept into the net luckily off the woodwork.

The Clarets then allowed just three further minutes to pass before restoring parity, a short corner enabling Holmes to provide a telling cross from which Andy Duncan got a glancing header to guide it into the goal.

Twenty minutes from the end Boreham Wood seized the initiative again, Onochie bagging another breakaway goal against the run of play.

They would not surrender their lead this time around, a towering header from Ryan Moran stealing the home team's fourth goal after 74 minutes to make sure that City returned home defeated.


Witham Town 4 Bury Town 1

THIS was a tremendous result for Witham against a team high in the table, and following Tuesday's result against Ilford improves their league position somewhat.

Witham were soon in the lead when, after just eight minutes, Jamie Ricks was put through and slotted past the oncoming Bury keeper Dean Greygoose. Ricks went close to scoring again but shot wide from close range.

Both teams created chances, with the visitors forcing many corners and keeping home keeper Paul Daley busy. Yet it was Witham who went further ahead in the 38th minute. Ricks was put through, Greygoose parried his shot and Kevin Hawes picked up the loose ball and shot into the net via the inside of a post.

Soon after the break Sam Reed pulled one back with a shot from close range, but Ricks soon regained Witham's two-goal advantage, when he turned and shot past Greygoose for an extra special goal.

It was end-to-end stuff for most of the second half with the last goal coming in time added on when Jamie Ricks scored from the penalty spot after a hand-ball decision to complete his hat-trick.

AFC Sudbury 5 Maldon 1

A BLISTERING performance by AFC Sudbury maintained their lead at the top of the table when they overran the Maldon offside trap to score four second-half goals on Saturday.

Gould blocked an early close-range shot from Clements before Neil went full-length to touch around a stinging long-range shot from Perry but from the resultant corner it was Perry who put Maldon ahead, rising above the defence to easily head home.

AFC Sudbury equalised after 25 minutes, Rowe finally beating the offside trap and although Gould held him up, he recovered to cross for Clements to run the ball into the net.

Five minutes into the second half, Bacon beat the offside trap down the left, with Sampson powering a header into his own net.

Ten minutes later, a long throw by Head was flicked on to Rowe who turned superbly to shot into the roof of the net.

The lead was further extended when Boardley broke down the left and placed the perfect ball in front of Rowe who, taking the ball in his stride, sent a powerful shot past Gould.

Maldon briefly responded with Cutchey lobbing a shot across the face of goal and wide before the Head brothers combined to bring the fifth and final goal. David Head sent a high ball over the defence allowing Simon Head to run on and comfortably beat Gould with a well-placed shot.

Dartford 4 Wivenhoe Town 2

IT WAS another splendid Dragons display but yet again no return for their improvement.

The pacy Williams had worried the visitors early on but they survived. It was then Wivenhoe's turn to dominate and a succession of slick passes found Liam Cockerill in the 32nd minute and his shot found the bottom corner.

They were unable to add to this lead as keeper Kessell palmed away Darren Bethell's snap header and then Stanley was denied when well placed.

Dartford aren't second in the table for nothing and Cass's smart finish levelled matters in the 43rd minute. The Dragons came storming back and Michael Brothers fired them ahead with a stunning goal.

Thorne was carried off immediately after the restart and the visitors never got back their fluency and were further rocked by three goals in a five-minute spell midway through the half.

Coyle headed the equaliser before Daniels was flattened and Cass stroked home, the officials seemingly the only people in the near 1000 crowd who hadn't seen the foul.

Cass shortly after completed Town's misery but the damage had been done before then.


Ringmer 1 Needham Market 3

NEEDHAM were made to fight all the way in this tie to reach the fourth round for only the second time in their history.

Needham dominated the opening quarter of the match with both Parker and Thrower hitting the Ringmer woodwork. Despite Needham's dominance it was Ringer who opened the scoring on the half-hour when their leading scorer Whiteman made no mistake from the penalty spot.

However, five minutes later Evans had evened things up when he also scored from the spot.

As the second half progressed the game became more open and Jones in the Needham goal had to make a good save from Whiteman.

The crucial second goal came 10 minutes from time when Denniss got the faintest of touches to an Evans cross to send the large travelling Needham contingent into raptures. With time running out for the home side Smith put them out of their misery with an excellent strike from 12 yards to put Needham through to yet another away tie in January against Kent side VCD Athletic.


Harwich & Parkeston 1 Leiston 0

HARWICH boss Robbie May suggested that a week off after last Saturday's washout would re-energise the players - and it showed against a Leiston team seeking their third consecutive win.

Carmichael looked to have put the hosts in front on 10 minutes when he successfully lobbed Leiston keeper Stannard, only to have his goal-bound shot cleared by Goldfinch at the far post.

Leiston played with confidence as the half went on and unlocked the Harwich defence in the 25th minute. But Allen, having done the hard work of rounding the keeper, put his shot into the side netting.

Rowe went close from a whipped-in free kick, his header only a whisker wide and it was Rowe who almost went one better on the stroke of half-time, a sublime flick from 12 yards beating Wootten but glancing off the crossbar.

For all Leiston's possession, Harwich were resolute in defence, Calver, Hughes and Murray dealing with all the visitors could throw at them.

Cunningham went close to breaking the deadlock hitting the inside of a post after a darting run down the left.

Harwich ratcheted up the pressure in the latter stages, Carmichael using his pace to cut the ball back for Page to unleash a venomous shot that narrowly cleared the bar.

With two minutes remaining Morley's pinpoint corner-kick fell to the predatory Carmichael who, with his back to goal, neatly tucked the ball into the corner of the net.

Leiston surged forward in the remainder of time, and a fingertipped save onto the bar from Wootten ensured Harwich took all three points.

Woodbridge 0 Lowestoft 5

BRADLEY Hough inspired a second-half rout as Lowestoft went nap after a goal-less opening period.

Woodbridge started brightly and debutant Dean Tournay-Godfrey drove a 25-yard free kick narrowly over and then Ben Seaman, playing his first game since sustaining an ankle injury in mid-October, should have scored from six yards.

Lowestoft got on top and Marcus Garnham saved well from Hough who, along with Richard Woodrow, missed a good opportunity.

Woodrow put the visitors ahead from a penalty and it stayed that way until the 70th minute when Hough set up Russell Stock to double their advantage.

Two minutes later Hough, unmarked at the far post, made it three and with five minutes remaining he created the fourth for Gary McGee before rounding off the scoring himself in the last minute.

Kirkley & Pakefield 1 CRC 0

KIRKLEY had new signing Max Blowers making a confident debut at full-back. They started the match on the front foot with Chris Henderson striking the inside of a post and bringing off a reactionary save from keeper Beagle, all in the first five minutes.

For the first 20 minutes it was all Kirkley until Bussons brought out the first save from Kirkley's Nathan Pauling. Kirkley took the lead with the only goal of the match and completed their first double of the season when Beagle brought down centre-forward Jordan Blyth in full flight for a penalty which was well struck into the net by Jamie Stockeld.

The second-half action was mainly centred around the midfield but the game came to life in the last five minutes with both keepers bringing off excellent saves.

Dereham 3 Felixstowe & W Utd 0

WHEN the sides turned round level at the break it was the visitors who had looked the more likely to take something from the game with Danny Phillips firing straight at Marshall in the 27th minute the only time either keeper had been extended .

After the break it was a completely different story with Felixstowe losing their way despite some good build-up play and the home side took full advantage to end comfortable winners.

Boyce put his side in front in the 52nd minute with the aid of a post as Felixstowe failed to clear the danger from Willis's cross and on the hour Terrington had a free header at the far post to extend the lead.

Had Dereham been more clinical in front of goal it might have been much worse for the visitors but it was not until the 88th minute that Willis ran through unchallenged to add the third goal with a shot under Crump.

Walsham 2 Haverhill Rovers 0

TWO second-half goals by Brown gave Walsham a well-earned victory against their high-flying opponents. The closest either side came to a goal in the opening period was when Musgrove struck the top of the bar right on half time, but within a minute of the resumption Wake's shot was deflected past Benstead by Brown.

Heller hit a post for Haverhill when it appeared easier to score and the visitors were made to rue that miss when Wake beat the offside trap and drew Benstead before crossing for Brown to net his second.

Ipswich Wanderers 2 Histon Res 1

TEN-MAN Wanderers came from behind to secure three much-needed points in their battle against relegation.

The hosts suffered a double blow inside the opening 15 minutes, losing Rumens with a serious leg injury and then going behind when a clumsy challenge by Culf on Blandford allowed Webster to put the visitors ahead from the resultant penalty kick.

Skipper Smy levelled after 39 minutes and had the ball in the net again before half time only to be ruled offside.

Deller was dismissed after receiving his second yellow card 20 minutes into the second half before substitute Wright scored at the second attempt to secure victory for the home side.


Godmanchester 0 FC Clacton 3

A COMFORTABLE 3-0 victory saw FC Clacton collect an important three points with as one-sided a performance as you could wish to see.

The scoreline could have been 15 had the visitors taken half the chances they created, or if the home keeper not been in inspired form.

Matt Waters continued his excellent form, scoring from a rebound following a saved Paul Hillier penalty after 38 minutes, before Godmanchester were reduced to 10 men.

Waters beat two players before scoring his second after 70 minutes and Mark White completed the scoring, slotting into an empty net five minutes later.

FC Clacton had three efforts cleared off the line, the Godmanchester keeper pulled off a few saves out of the top drawer and the Seasiders had plenty of good chances wasted that on another day may have cost them dearly.

But overall, it was a really good performance with some brilliant football on display on a pitch not really suited to the Essex side.

Halstead 2 Tiptree 1

TWO-GOAL 'Dan' Daly clinched a tremendous Halstead victory over league leaders Tiptree at Rosemary Lane.

However, it was a superb defensive performance that led the way as the home side successfully saw off 13 corners forced by the Jam Makers, meaning Halstead have now conceded just one goal in open play over the last seven games.

It was late in the half when Halstead took the lead, rather against the run of play, when Tom Austin's low pass found Daly to fire home from close range.

Tiptree levelled almost immediately when referee Theobald consulted his linesman who had spotted an infringement, resulting in a penalty being awarded. Up stepped Tom English to score from the spot despite a fine attempt by Rutherford to save at the foot of a post.

A flurry of corners which Halstead simply could not get away saw Paul Rutherford pull off a string of useful saves.

Then Halstead regained the lead with what proved to be the winning goal after 72 minutes. It came from only their second corner when again Daly was on the spot to turn the ball home after keeper Darren Smith had fumbled.

Debenham LC 4 Stowmarket 1

DEBENHAM doubled their local rivals in a match that will unfortunately be remembered for a refereeing display rather than a master class in the art of goal-scoring from Stuart Jopling.

Two clinical finishes took the game away from a Stowmarket side that had started confidently, only to find themselves behind to Jopling's opener and down to 10 men as Jamie Carr was shown a second yellow card in the 26th minute.

Four other players entered the referee's notebook in a half that was saved by Glyn Roberts' great through ball allowing Joel Watkins to claim a goal on his Debenham debut. Jopling halted the visitors' second-half resurgence with his 25th goal of the season before Tony Cracknell reduced the arrears.

Roberts was then harshly dismissed but Jopling had the final say, setting up Rob Kemp for the Hornets fourth.

Fakenham Town 1 Whitton Utd 7

FAKENHAM were looking for only their second victory of the campaign, but their luck was not about to change as the resilient Whitton gave them a lesson in marksmanship.

Duane Wright, who was an inspiration all afternoon, supplied Darren Mills who drilled Whitton into the lead and then a push on Chris Williams gave them a penalty which Gavin Crane converted.

Wright made it three with a fantastic weaving run, nutmegging his marker then shooting through Daniel Stockdale. Darren Mills notched the visitors' fourth in a move started in the Whitton half by Kevin Inglis then just before half-time Crane looped the ball over the home keeper.

Fakenham were chasing shadows but were still making a fight of it. Kieron Bacon dragged a shot wide during a brief period of home dominance.

Whitton goalkeeper Darren Moyes was substituted due to a thigh strain, with teenage outfield player Dean Pleasance taking over, but it made no difference to the outcome.

Fakenham substitute John Connelly did send in a shot from out wide past Pleasance, but this was only a minor blip in an otherwise faultless performance from the youngster. Duane Wright buried a thunderbolt past the unlucky Stockdale then Mills completed his hat-trick with five minutes left, meeting a Simon Hyde header and putting it into the roof of the net for the seventh Whitton goal of the afternoon.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter