Non-league football round-up

BROTHERS Ben and Sam Newson combined to fire Stanway Rovers into fourth round of the FA Vase on Saturday. Ben netted a hat-trick and Sam two as Stanway won 5-0 at Mildenhall Town.

BROTHERS Ben and Sam Newson combined to fire Stanway Rovers into fourth round of the FA Vase on Saturday. Ben netted a hat-trick and Sam two as Stanway won 5-0 at Mildenhall Town. Lowestoft overcame Rye United 4-2 but Ipswich Wanderers bowed out after losing 3-0 at home to Harefield United.


Mildenhall Town 0 Stanway Rovers 5

STANWAY Rovers mastered tricky conditions to give Mildenhall Town a lesson in taking chances as brothers Sam and Ben Newson claimed all five goals between them.

An even first half was dominated by defences until 40 minutes when a mistake in midfield by the home side saw the ball quickly moved up field for Ben Newson to fire home.

A minute later it was 2-0, as Sam Newson got the final touch in a goalmouth scramble after a corner.

Most Read

Mildenhall were leaving huge gaps at the rear and they paid for it soon after the break when a good five-man move ended with Ben Newson getting the third.

When Stanway keeper Church saved Robinson's shot, the ball immediately went to the opposite end where Sam Newson got the final touch in another scramble in the goalmouth.

Harewood waltzed down the left, leaving the home defence floundering in the mud, before crossing for Ben Newson to put the final nail in Mildenhall's coffin.

Lowestoft Town 4 Rye United 2

RUSSELL Stock scored twice as Lowestoft produced a gritty second half performance to progress against the 10 men of Rye United in the FA Vase.

The Sussex County League side made the early breakthrough after only three minutes when a Marcus Saunders's attempted clearance ricocheted in off the unfortunate Neil Plaskett.

Lowestoft reverted to three at the back at the interval and were ahead just two minutes into the second period after Bradley Hough and Stock netted in quick succession. Lewis Parsons recklessly brought down Matty Potter to spark a huge skirmish, in which Rye captain Marc Gall receiving a second yellow card for his part.

Lowestoft grabbed a third seven minutes later when Stock was on hand to tap in after McGee's shot had cannoned back off the post.

Rye pulled one back straight away when Potter's clearance held up in the swirling wind, allowing Chris Gould to volley home from six yards out, before substitute Jamie Godbold raced clear from the halfway line to round the goalkeeper and slot home in injury time.

Ipswich Wands 0 Harefield Utd 3

IPSWICH Wanderers poor season continued on Saturday as they crashed out of the FA Vase to Middlesex's Harefield United.

The Ridgeons League Premier Division's bottom-placed side offered little resistance after the break as they slipped to defeat, before an almighty brawl in the final seconds saw three red cards issued, two to Harefield players and one to Wanderers.

Harefield had taken the lead following an intercepted throw out from Hammond. Sonner's shot came back off the bar, but Buckle buried the rebound.

The visitors controlled the game for the whole of the second half and they increased their lead after 64 minutes when Hammond bent a free kick round the wall and into the net.

The third and final goal came after 80 minutes when Willis stroked in Sonner's cross after the Wanderers defence allowed Harefield's best player space on the wing. Then came the sad ending to the match which, until that point, had seen no sign of a bad tackle or frayed tempers.


Braintree Town 0 Thurrock 0

BRAINTREE Town lost ground on the play-off places with this goalless draw against Thurrock.

Braintree started well, with Sullivan and Shinn looking dangerous, but it was Thurrock who created the first opening when David Bryant's drive from the edge of the area was blocked on the line by Jones before Edwards cleared up field.

The hosts' best chances came in the first half when Lee Burns saw a teasing cross from the right tipped over by Blackmore in the Thurrock goal, while Louis Riddle saw a shot just brush the far post.

Thurrock's best period was just after half time when, in a five minute spell, Russ Edwards had to head a goalbound shot from under the bar and Billy Burgess cleared off the goal line.


Chelmsford 2 Tonbridge Angels 2

CHELMSFORD surrendered their 100% home record against Kent visitors Tonbridge Angels as the Essex side twice had to come from behind to seal a point after conceding two freak goals.

Jeff King's side were landed with a comedic scenario deep into first-half injury time when a routine back pass to goalkeeper Danny Gay became stuck in a patch of mud and Tommy Tyne was first to race onto the desolate ball and slam past the unfortunate Clarets custodian.

City were made to wait until the second half before they got back level, Spencer Knight striking a free kick low through a group of bodies in off the foot of the post.

However, Chelmsford went behind once again to another unfortunate goal Matt Lovell's half-volley took a cruel deflection past Gay.

Impressive young Chelmsford winger Ricky Holmes found the goal his performance deserved 12 minutes from the end to level the scores.

Each side then saw a player dismissed before the end, Chelmsford's James Lawson for alleged violent conduct, while Tonbridge's Akwasi Edusei picked up his second yellow card.

Hastings Utd 1 Heybridge Swifts 0

HEYBRIDGE Swifts slipped further back towards the relegation zone after Hastings United recorded their first win in eight games.

The Essex side threatened early on, but had keeper Richard McKinney to thank for a good save from Sam Adams.

Hasting's Frankie Sawyer clipped the top of the bar before the break, but went in front just minutes after the interval when Sawyer rocketed a sweet strike into the top corner.

The hosts could have gone further in front as Sawyer made a mess of a free header, while Heybridge's Gary Burrell glanced a header agonisingly wide at the other end.


Waltham Forest 0 AFC Sudbury 3

AFC SUDBURY kept up their challenge at the top of the league with a comfortable win on a rain saturated pitch at Waltham Forest.

Azinge went close in the opening minute before Stace missed a good chance shortly after. Neil twice made superb saves to deny Opara and Coropcianu, before AFC Sudbury finally went ahead when Boardley's third successive corner saw Stace head powerfully past Willis.

Rowe and Bacon missed chances to increase the lead, before Bacon sent a well directed header past Willis for goal number two.

Waltham Forest had the better of the second half but Waldron, King and Opara all spurned good chances to reduce the deficit before, with the last kick of the game, Simon Head shot past Willis.

Maldon Town 6 Wingate & Finchley 2

MALDON Town kept up their pressure on the league leaders with a comprehensive win over Wingate & Finchley.

The Essex side went ahead in the second minute when Frankie Everitt was on hand to head in from a free kick on the left.

The visitors equalised within a minute when Daniel Clarke raced though and placed the ball past Darren Gould to spark an end-to-end match.

Maldon retook the lead after 28 minutes when Lee Perry scored from the edge of the box, before James Robinson rocketed a 35 yard free kick into the net to extend his sides lead after 35 minutes.

Robinson then tapped in a cross from the right to give Maldon a 4-1 lead at half time.

The visitors improved after the break, but found themselves further behind when Paul Shave headed in a cross from the left after 70 minutes.

Ahmet Rifat pulled one back for Wingate, before, in the last minute, Matt Cutchey pounced on a loose ball to finish off Maldon's win.

Edgware Town 2 Witham Town 0

A MUCH-CHANGED Witham Town side went down to a strong Edgware Town team who have lost only two league games this season.

Witham keeper Paul Daley made some excellent saves, but was beaten twice as Kevin Chakadoula shot low past him after 44 minutes and before the same player scored again in the 70th minute. Witham used all their substitutes but could not break down the home defence.


Leiston 1 Wisbech Town 0

LEISTON recorded a successive win and clean sheet in the only Premier League match of the day to be completed. Wisbech almost stole a first minute lead as Ablett hit the side netting when well placed.

From then on it was all Leiston, however the hosts found the visiting custodian Horton in inspired form as time and time again he repelled the home side, including one save from point blank range against Roach.

The second half saw Leiston's Allen lob wide and then smack the bar with an effort, before Cunningham's great left wing cross saw Trotter poked home the loose ball after 57 minutes.

Eight minutes later, Wisbech's Ablett saw red after he appeared to head butt Cunningham.

Felixstowe & Walton 0 Swaffham Town 0 (abandoned after 43 minutes due to floodlight failure)

FELIXSTOWE & Walton United and Swaffham Town was the first of two Ridgeons League Premier Division matches to fall foul of floodlight failure at the weekend.

After a late pitch inspection had allowed the match to go ahead, the two sides were heading into half time goalless, despite Swaffham having been camped in their half for much of the time. However, with just two minutes to go before the break, the two Colneis end floodlights failed and, despite efforts to repair the damage, it was to no avail and referee Mr Sannersun had no option but to abandon the game.

With Norwich United v King's Lynn also abandoned due to floodlight failure in the 53rd minuteand four others postponed, only one of the seven scheduled Premier Division fixtures was completed.


Tiptree Utd 1 Saffron Walden Town 0

TABLE-TOPPERS Tiptree Town struggled to defeat fifth-placed Saffron Walden on Saturday.

The visitors could have taken the lead in the first ten minutes as Paul Stokes fired into the side netting from close range, while Darren Smith was forced to save low down from a shot by Carl Strong.

Tiptree's first chance came on the counter attack when Lee Owens' rising drive skimmed crossbar with keeper Dave Pledger well beaten.

The break through in the 27th minute when a four man started with man-of-the-match Lewin Ward picked the ball in the midfield passed to Owen who in turn sent Luke Webster away down the right flank. Webster finally crossed for English to place his header into the top right hand corner.

Ward should have increased the Jam Makers lead in the 38th but failed get any power into his shot, which was blocked by the feet of Pledger.

Diss Town 1 Godmanchester Rovers 2

GODMANCHESTER Rovers came from behind to deservedly beat Diss Town on Saturday. The hosts had taken the lead in the seventh minute when Stephen Hurst diverted Ben Deacon's cross into his own net.

Gavin Norman missed a great chance to extend the lead before Godmanchester equalised out of the blue when 16-year-old Stephen David Hurst looped a 25 yard wind assisted effort beyond keeper Michael Hilton.

Lee Boon grabbed the winner in route one style six minutes into the second half, beating the hesitant Hilton to a long punt from his own keeper Gavin Armitage before scrambling the ball home.

Whitton Utd 8 March Town Utd 1

WHITTON United got back to their goal scoring best with an eight-goal showing against March Town United.

However, the game had started disastrously for the home side when, with barely ten seconds on the clock, Luke Weston took advantage of a defensive error to blast past Moyes.

A shell-shocked Whitton quickly set about addressing the balance though, Chris Williams remaining cool under heavy pressure to side step the keeper and equalise. From then on it was near one-way traffic as Duane Wright and Darren Mills extended the lead before, a late first half corner saw Robin Sutton misdirect the ball past his own goalkeeper. The hosts were ruthless in the second half as Darren Mills extended the lead just two minutes in.

Gavin Crane quickly made it six with a tap in, Chris Williams finished a solo effort to claim his brace, while substitute Sam Banya finished off the rout by scoring through a crowed penalty area.


Durham 1 Suffolk 2

RICHARD Gammon came off the bench to send Suffolk through to the quarter-finals of this season's competition. The Newmarket striker turned in a cross by Camillo Douglas (Whitton United) as Suffolk overturned a first-half deficit.

Durham had taken the lead when Dale Smith (Lowestoft Town) tripped Durham's Hepplewhite from behind and Tom Ross (Woodbridge Town) was beaten from the resultant spot kick.

John Sargeant (Bury Town) fired home from 30 yards earlier in the second half to equalise for Suffolk, who will now be away to Westmorland or Sussex early in the New Year.