Non-league football round-up

HEYBRIDGE Swifts enjoyed their first Ryman League Premier Division win of the season on Saturday, while both Bury Town and Maldon face replays in the FA Trophy following a busy weekend of league and cup matches at non-league level.

HEYBRIDGE Swifts enjoyed their first Ryman League Premier Division win of the season on Saturday, while both Bury Town and Maldon face replays in the FA Trophy following a busy weekend of league and cup matches at non-league level.


Hastings United 0 Chelmsford 3

GLENN Pennyfather brushed aside any talk of an away hoodoo at Chelmsford City after a comfortable win at Hastings United, boasting: “You can't argue with three wins on the spin!”

The Clarets gained their first league victory of the season on their travels with goals from Jeff Minton (penalty), Ricky Holmes and Kezie Ibe but Glenn was quick to react to the theory Chelmsford struggled away from home: “I don't believe it was ever a specific problem. Obviously the players were aware of what was being said, and that was on their minds, but today's result got that all out of their system. We weren't necessarily any better today than when we lost at Horsham or Hornchurch, it was just all about taking our chances.”

City stay in third place behind Hendon and Horsham after all three clubs gained victories without conceding, while rivals A.F.C. Wimbledon won at home to Maidstone and Billericay Town were embarrassed, 5-2, at home to East Thurrock United.

Most Read

The visitors made a bright and offensive start to the game and could easily have gone in front on several occasions. Bertie Brayley, one of the scorers against Bury, found himself with only goalkeeper Lee Worgan to beat on two occasions. On one of those a failed clearance by a defender allowed him through but he struck straight at the home custodian both times around.

Meanwhile, United went close themselves via a right-wing cross which was delivered to the near post only for defender Lee Protheroe to vitally clear the subsequent shot off the goal line. Towards the middle of the half the game quietened down although the vocal Clarets fans refused to follow suit, willing their team on from the terraces. They were rewarded in the 40th minute with the opening goal. Ibe ventured towards goal under the strict attention of his marker but was adjudged by the referee to have been impeded in the Hastings area and from, the following penalty, Jeff Minton smashed the ball down the centre of the goal.

Not a though of their indifferent away form entered the players' minds as they embarked on the second half, with the second goal going in after 52 minutes. Ricky Holmes found himself in possession in the middle of the park and he passed to Minton. His delivery to Brayley saw the striker fail to make a proper contact but by then Holmes had got into a position to strike a shot across his body and into the bottom corner.

Later-on there were developments towards the middle of the second period as Clarets 'keeper Danny Gay misjudged a kick which a Hastings forward swivelled and struck onto the post but the real drama arrived on 68 minutes. City were defending when Duncan was cynically hacked down by an opponent and, after a scuffle and the referee consulting with his assistant, Duncan saw red along with his opposite number, Ade Olorunda, in the square-up.

Chelmsford wrapped the game up with seven minutes remaining thanks to a third added by Ibe.

Heybridge Swifts 4 Harrow Borough 0

ON-LOAN George Purcell was the difference maker as Swifts earned their first league win of the campaign with an impressive victory; built on the strength of a solid defensive unit with Daryl Bourgeois and Toby Janadu outstanding.

Purcell had an early strike from Liam Coleman's incisive pass, Gary Ross saving well, but Purcell was not to be denied. After Bourgeois won the ball with a strong tackle Gary Burell sent Purcell on his way to round Wayne Walters and slot home the first for Heybridge. James Bent responded well for the visitors, but Ollie Sanders saved comfortably, and Elliott Onochie shot wide when well placed.

Burrell was booked by an inconsitent referee who rarely looked in control of the game, but Swifts doubled their advantage on 42 minutes, Purcell stepping up to slam the penalty after being pulled back in the area by Danny Leech, after Matt Batt's through ball had sent him clear, Leech fortunate not to receive a card.

Batt was booked twice in the five minutes after the interval to be sent off and Heybridge were rocked initially but soon recovered their composure. Purcell continued to be the danger man and Ross saved well from him but was helpless as Purcell's outstanding run through the visitors defence and fierce shot made it three for him and Heybridge. Sanders twice punched out well as the Swifts defence was threatened, then the numbers were evened out after Walters was sent off for Harrow after a late challenge on Sean Marks, fortunate not to be carded for his reaction in the melee afterwards that at times could have got out of hand and it took the indecisive officials some time to restore order.

Purcell soon got Swifts moving positively once again and from his cross Burrell was bought down in the box, Coleman converting the penalty to give Swifts a 4-0 win. There was time for Ross to save well with his legs, inevitably from Purcell as Swifts finished strongly and decisively got their league campaign on track.


Edgware Town 1 AFC Sudbury 0

A 10th-minute penalty needlessly conceded by Stace was enough to send AFC Sudbury to their third one-goal away defeat of the season on Saturday.

The crucial goal came when David head conceded a free kick out wide and when the ball was played in, Stace flicked it away with his hand to concede the penalty that Haydon converted. AFC Sudbury should have equalised minutes later; Heath finding Rowe in front of goal and although he missed his kick, the ball ran to Simon Head who delayed his shot allowed Bonfield to block. Edgware twice came close to increasing their lead when first Blackburne lobbed Munson, the ball finished just wide, and they Haydon hit the bar with a header from Davidson's cross.

Although the second half belonged to AFC Sudbury with Edgware content to defend their lead, the best chance fell early on to Heath who glanced a header wide after a superb break by Rowe. Bacon then shot tamely at Bonfield from just six yards out and then Bonfield made the save of the match beating out a stinging volley from Boardley.


Maldon Town 2 Croydon Athletic 2

MALDON entertained Croydon Athletic for their first ever visit to Maldon for what looked on paper to be a very good game.

Maldon needed to be on top form as Croydon are the top goalscorers in the Ryman Div One South League where they have scored 17 goals this season, and it was Maldon's keeper Darren Gould who was the first to be called on to made a save when he managed to get a leg to a shot from Gareth Graham, Maldon immediately responded when a free kick from Dean Parrot was beaten out by the Croydon Keeper, shortly after wards Paul Shave was unlucky when his header bounced over the crossbar, straight from this Croydon broke away and went ahead when a cross found Gareth Graham at the far post who made no mistake from short range after 22 minutes.

Maldon went further behind on 36 minutes when the lively Moses Ademola was put through to score much against the run of play; Maldon went into the break losing 2-nil when they had the chances to make the game save.

The second half started with Maldon making the play, but it was Croydon who looked dangerous on the break, after 64 minutes Wayne Purser brought Maldon back into the game when he shot home a cross from Shave, Maldon continued to apply pressure on the Croydon defenders who hung on until the 90th minute when fullback Matt Cutchey went forward to give Maldon the well deserved equaliser. The replay is at Croydon tomorrow night.

Wivenhoe Town 0 Corinthian Casuals 2

ANOTHER good performance but still the same result as the Dragons can't buy a goal or that priceless bit of luck.

They were well in the game new man Finch looked promising as did the always powerful Mcmanus in centre midfield as their probing caused the visitors defence problems on more than one occasion. Proske was again lively down the left flank.

It was end to end despite Proske heading off the line the Dragons rearguard were in command until the 38th minute when Neal felled a Casuals forward and Mitchell made no mistake from the spot. Dean Neal produced a super save to deny Mitchell at the start of the second half but it was Wivenhoe who pushed forward substitute Price added a spark to the proceedings as shots were deflected for corners scrambles in the goalmouth always fell on a Casuals boot. They never gave up and when skipper Liam White found a space his shot was hacked off the line.

As seemed inevitable, Wivenhoe hammered away at one end but the opposition broke at pace and Nwoko delivered the knockout blow.

Bury Town 0 Redbridge 0

BURY face a difficult replay tomorrow night after this hard fought match between two evenly matched sides ended goalless.

Bury probably had the better opportunities in the opening 20 minutes and had the best chance of the match when Sam Reed got clear of the Redbridge defence, only to shoot into the side netting. Lee Smith and Gavin Johnson both fired over from good positions as Bury pushed forward.

Redbridge came back strongly and Dean Greygoose had to be at his best to keep out a header from Leon Antoine and a point blank effort from Hughie Ashman.

Bury had two further chances from corners, but the visitors keeper denied them with a reaction save and then was grateful to see another effort cleared off the line. Two more fine saves by Greygoose kept Bury in the game as Redbridge finished the half the stronger side.

Bury started the second half brightly and put the visitors defence under some pressure, although they were unable to seriously trouble the keeper.

The game became very open, but although chances were created at both ends, neither side were able to provide the finishing touch.


Braintree 0 Hayes and Yeading 1

BRAINTREE slipped to yet another defeat on Saturday losing at home to struggling Hayes and Yeading, the win caterpolting the visitors to midtable and leaving the Iron in 19th position and looking a relegation place in the eyes.

Hayes were first to settle and were unlucky as early as the first minute when a cross had to be palmed away from under the crossbar by Nicky Morgan , that was the first of many chances as Gregory,Hendry,and Simon Martin all wasted chances to put Hayes into the lead.

The closest the Iron came was on 20 minutes when Eugene Ofori met Quintons cross but fired wide.

Hayes and Yeadings goal came on the hour a long ball out of defence found Simon Martin whose shot was saved by Braintree's keeper Morgan but the loose ball fell to the feet of Palmer to rifle in from four yards out.

Braintree pushed forward in the closing stages but failed to find a way through a resolute Hayes defence.


Leiston 3 Debenham LC 0

THE home side comfortably eased there way into the second round and had they not struck the bar four times in the second half, the scoreline would have looked more realistic.

From the very first whistle the home side took control and on 12 minutes took the lead. Trevivian and Brothers combining with the latter sending an angled shot across Ellis into the corner. Just after the half-hour it was two when Stanley capitalised on a miscued clearance from close range. The visitors looked a shadow of their expected self and spent the entire second half defending. Ellis denied McGlone three times and Brothers and Stanley both hit the bar twice. The final goal came in stoppage time and it was a classy finish from Stanley.

Deeping Rangers 1 Woodbridge 2

WOODBRIDGE had the first shot on goal but Berry dragged his effort wide.

Both sides struggled to keep possession of the ball on a bumpy surface with Deeping's more direct style creating some chances with Matson firing straight at Garnham on at least three occasions from knockdowns.

Woodbridge responded with Berry firing wide and Scales flashing a quick free-kick just over midway through the half. Soon after, Blake and Seaman played a one-two but a last-ditch tackle cleared the danger as Blake was about to shoot and further Woodbridge pressure saw Berry cut in from the right but his left-foot curling shot was deflected narrowly wide.

Deeping's Bettinson soon had their best chance to open the scoring heading wide from a terrific Matson cross when in the centre of goal and Berry at the other end saw a free-kick easily gathered by Bircham. As the half drawed to a close, Deeping finished the stronger with Garnham having to twice save from Matson and Cobb at full length. The game finally came to life on 53 minutes when Hart fired in a low shot towards the bottom left hand corner which the keeper could only help on its way to give Woodbridge the lead. The visitors had a lifeline soon after when Cobb crashed a shot against a post and the follow-up was straight at Garnham.

O'Neill and Read were introduced as Woodbridge continued to push on, but were pegged back on 83 minutes when a fierce strike was spilt by Garnham at the feet of Matson who levelled matters.

Woodbridge secured their passage in the last minute when a lovely passing move saw Read and O'Neill combine on the edge of the box to allow the latter to steer a measured shot into the bottom corner.

Blackstones 3 Diss Town 1

TWO hotly-disputed penalties contributed to defeat for Diss away at United Counties Premier Division Blackstones.

The home side led 1-0 at half time despite Diss having more of the play and chances. Early in the second half Diss were stunned when a penalty was awarded, presumably for a foul, but it was not clear.

In the 55th minute a Josh Hull goal put Diss back in the match. They thought they had been awarded a penalty themselves when the referee pointed to the spot for a hand ball but on consulting an assistant this was changed to a free-kick outside the area. A second penalty was given to Blackstones when one of their forwards went down easily when challenged.

Ely City 1 Needham Market 4

NEEDHAM Market survived an early scare in the FA Vase when their Division one opponents Ely City took the lead at the Unwin Ground.

Ely could have been a goal up after only two minutes but for a superb one-handed save by Jones. Three minutes later they were ahead when Daniels headed home. Needham drew level after 30 minutes when Snell's cross was tucked away by Wake.

Within 10 minutes of the second half Needham had a two-goal cushion when Bailey headed home Snell's free kick and Smith scored Needham's third from close range.

Stone then missed a penalty when Needham keeper Jones saved his tame shot. Needham then made the tie safe when Smith scored again.

Wroxham 2 Whitton 1

WHITTON weathered the early Wroxham storm and pushed back themselves. But Lee Gilman was the main dangerman for Wroxham, and he combined well with Andy Key and Gary Gilmore to stretch the Greens backline, forcing their keeper Darren Moyes to pull off a number of fine saves including two point blank efforts from Gilman later in the game.

Kevin Inglis hit the crossbar from this free kick with Chris Williams sending the rebound over the bar. The second half was played out at just as fast a pace as the first with the crowd hardly able to draw breath between one play and the next. Chances came and went at both ends within scant seconds of each other, the ball whizzing up and down the pitch but there was no score at full-time. Whitton took the lead through Camillo Douglas in the first period of extra time, showing a calmness the fans weren't by steadying himself before rounding Woodcock and shooting past the defenders stationed on the line.

Two minutes later it was all square when Gilman turned in the area and fired past Moyes. The home side pressed hard and in the second period of extra time Gilman received the ball near the far post and struck it past Moyes to take Wroxham through to the next round.


Mildenhall 1 Swaffham 3

MILDENHALL paid the price for missed chances in the first half. They had enough openings to have gone in at the break with a comfortable lead but had to settle for 1-1.

Werthman had given them the lead on 30 minutes, heading home Simpson's corner, but poor defending allowed Swaffham back right on half time when Forshaw completely unmarked at the far post fired home after the defence had missed a cross.

More pressure at the start of the second half from Mildenhall but it was the visitors who went in front when Butcher waltzed a static rearguard to fire past Pope. Worse was to come with ten minutes left when Forshaw repeated the performance to make the game safe.

Lowestoft Town 6 Ipswich Wanderers 0

TOWN were able to welcome Reece Hunn back for his first start of the season after recovering from his pre-season injury, and the young winger produced a man-of-the-match performance to help destroy a weak Ipswich Wanderers side on Saturday.

It only took eight minutes for the deadlock to be broken, when Ally McKenna broke free of his marker inside the centre circle to send Hunn clear, and he had time to place his shot past goalkeeper Gary Hammond.

Hunn then turned provider four minutes later as he cut in again from the left flank, and he unselfishly squared low to the onrushing McKenna who finished from close range for a great second.

Lowestoft started to play with a swagger, and Russell Stock headed wide following good work between Hunn and Matty Potter. The mercurial Hunn was getting plenty of joy down the left, giving full-back Tom Deller a torrid afternoon.

The game was as good as over on 22 minutes when McKenna was brought down inside the area by a silly lunge by Tom Lloyd, and Richard Woodrow stepped up to send Hammond the wrong way.

Wanderers simply had no reply to the Blues onslaught, and could not get out of their own half with the ball. Carl Poppy thumped Hammond's angle of post and crossbar with an outrageous 35-yard volley, and the goalkeeper was called into action again soon after when Bradley Hough's deflected cross was brilliantly tipped onto the post.

However, it wasn't long before a fourth was added to the tally, when Stock's dummy allowed McKenna to wander past three Ipswich defenders before firing left-footed past Hammond for his second successive brace. A hat-trick hunting McKenna was then denied again by another fine Hammond save, but number five came five minutes before the break when King's deflected free kick was saved, but Darren Cockrill was on hand to toe-poke in from two yards.

Felixstowe & Walton 4 Norwich Utd 1

A third-minute goal from Liam Scopes put the Seasiders on their way to a comfortable victory against a youthful Norwich United side who had plenty of possession but rarely turned it into a threat on Paul Cudworths goal.

Fulcher turned away the midfielders initial effort for a corner and from Edwards flag kick Scopes headed firmly past Hill in the visitors goal.

Cudworth had to collect a firm shot from Page and make a double save to deny Wines in the opening 15minutes when Norwich looked their most threatening but but they found themselves two goals adrift in the 15th minute when a mix-up between Fulcher and Hill saw the central defender head over his own keeper into an empty net.

The visitors thought they had forced their way back into the game three minutes before the break when Young pounced on a loose ball and drilled it under Cudworth but it was short-lived as the home side restored their lead within 60 seconds when Scopes and Edwards combined for Phillips to head past Hill. Clever play from Phillips in the 54th minute sealed the points when he lifted the ball over Hill for Mills to head into an empty net and with Norwich running out of ideas in the last third of the pitch the Seasiders always looked comfortably in charge of the game.

Haverhill 0 CRC 0

THE points were shared in the first ever meeting between these two sides as neither were able to find the net.

Haverhill had the better chances of the opening period, Louie Farrington's header coming off the heels of defender Lewis Carr on the goal line and away goalkeeper Luke McShane looking in fine form to save from Adam Ben-Saud twice and to push Richard Heller's shot away from goal.

Debutante Tim Catley was also called into action in the home goal near the end of the first half to push Jordan Collins' free kick behind at full stretch.

The second half was more about incidents rather than efforts on goal, CRC's Rory McAuley being sent off for violent conduct after 78 minutes and his manager being asked to leave the dugout after protesting the decision.

Haverhill also lost two players through with Catley going off with a suspected torn calf after 71 minutes (Wayne Goddard replacing him in goal) and Ryan Holder going off in added time with a right knee strain.


Halstead 1 Hadleigh 4

HALSTEAD suffered their worst ever defeat by their Suffolk visitors in a game which was a comedy of errors for the home side, unable to take advantage of an own-goal opener by Ben Goodchild, who promptly went to the other end immediately to head the equaliser.

Missing from the home line-up were Dave Streetley, Stuart Fergus, Dan Rochester and Steve Daly, but even so it was an error strewn performance coupled with two shots that hit the woodwork and Hadleigh keeper Luke Whitwell pulling off three great saves.

After a bright start Halstead went in front on 14 minutes when a long free kick by Paul Abrahams was deflected into his own net by Goodchild, who promptly headed home unmarked a Ross Myhill cross at the other end via the foot of the post. Halstead hit back strongly when the unlucky Chris Bryan's shot hit the post and came out, then saw another effort cleared off the line by Chris Sadler to bring an evenly fought first half to an end.

The home side resumed with Lou Harper for Luke Passfield but this moved was cancelled out when Goodchild struck again with Halstead defence in complete disarray and Hadleigh grew in confidence pushing the ball round confidently, but they owed keeper Whitwell a pat on the back as he denied Abrahams, Bethell and Saunders, while the latter was unlucky with a screaming 25 yarder that hit the post.

Heavy home pressure was safely dealt with while the introduction of subs failed to change Halstead's position.

Hadleigh sealed victory with two goals in the last eight minutes both from Craig Payne, the first following a fortunate rebound off referee Jim Smith, which wrong footed the defence and two minutes from time to complete the home misery.

Tiptree 5 Stowmarket 4

THE Jam Makers had a fight on their hands as they went back to the top of the table,with the odd goal win in a nine-goal thriller with Stowmarket at Chapel Road from an action-packed second half which produced seven goals.

In a lively start Tiptree went ahead from the penalty spot in the eighth minute after Lee Owens was brought down , Tom English placing the ball just inside a post giving, Ross Charters no chance in stoping it.

Both sides had chances, after Owens header was cleared off the line in the 19th minute the ball moved quickly to the other end for Glenn Driver to equalise with a great shot.

Within a minute after half time Stowmarket went ahead when Robbie Smythe took advantage of slackness in the home defence to net with a cross shot, this setback stirred the Jam Makers into action for 60 seconds later it was all square again when Ian Nimmo used all his skills to find the back of the visitors net.

Three minutes later Tiptree went ahead for the second time in the game with a Tommy Noble header from the edge of the six yard box

Goals began to flow at regular intervals. Following an infringement of the edge of the Stowmarket penalty area Nimmo drove a Beckham-like free into the roof of the net.

When English hit his second goal of the match to give Tiptree a 5-2 lead it looked to be all over, but seven minutes from the final whistle after being brought down Warren Taylor-Holt cut back the arrears from the penalty spot

It was too late when Pavol Kovac brought the scoreline to a single goal difference in injury time for Stowmarket to save the game despite giving the Jam Makers quite a fright.


Westerfield 0 Long Melford 2

UNDER perfect conditions Westerfield made the better start and long throws from Lynch from either side of the pitch caused the Melford defence some problems.

Melford eventually got their game together Statham and Skeggs were off target with shots and Kenyon should have done better when he missed from a few yards out but the visistors do go ahead on 28 minutes Alder rose at the far post to head home Skeggs' corner Westerfield had a chance of a quick response, but Langham was way off target with a free kick as was Broom when he burst through.

The rest of the half saw Melford fritter way chances and at the start of the second Westerfield pressed and Croll was twice in treouble with inswinging corners before he was forced to dive at the feet of Broom. Melford were struggling to get any pattern to their play and Pitt missed a great chance for Westerfield, but after a couple of enforced substitutions Melford grabbed a second. Walker started the move and was able to stab home Wilson's pass. This allowed Melford to relax and substitute Daws twice had chances to increase the lead.