Non-league round-up

AFC SUDBURY put five past Witham in Ryman League Division One North while there were wins for Kirkley & Pakesfield and Haverhill Rovers in the Premier Division of the Ridgeons League in this week's midweek matches.

AFC SUDBURY put five past Witham in Ryman League Division One North while there were wins for Kirkley & Pakesfield and Haverhill Rovers in the Premier Division of the Ridgeons League in this week's midweek matches.


AFC Sudbury 5 Witham Town 1

A FIVE-GOAL spree by AFC Sudbury moved them back into second spot at Kings Marsh on Tuesday night.

They were in front after 15 minutes when Daley made a superb blocking save to keep out Boardley's powerful shot, but Bacon, following up, slotted home.

Neil then saved Hawes deflected shot before a superb chipped goal by Boardley, spotting Daley off his line, increased the lead. Ricks went close with a swerving shot that just missed the far post before Simon Head volleyed home a third just before half time, with Rowe crossing low in injury time for Heath to shoot home a fourth.

Most Read

The best goal came after 55 minutes, David Head and Clements swapping passes before Head's final cross was headed back by Bacon and Rowe turned superbly to shoot low past Daley.

Five minutes from time Witham were gifted a consolation. A mix-up between Girling and Neil allowing McDonald to run the ball into the empty net, but there was still time for Daley to make two stunning saves to deny Hammond and David Head.


Walsham le Willows 1 Kirkley & Pakefield 3

THE visitors scored with a first chance of the match after six minutes when Walsham failed to clear their lines and Jamie Stokeld punished them with a good left-foot shot that went in off a post.

Walsham slowly got into the match with Musgrove free kicks causing havoc and from one of them Logan completely missed his kick in front of goal.

Wake shot straight at Pauling when in a good position and it was against the run of play when the visitors went two-up, the hard-working Stone running through and finishing well. A superb Walsham move ended with sub Will Brown lifting the ball over keeper Pauling to put Walsham back in the match.

Walsham were pushing forward in search of an equaliser but right at the death Kirkley broke and Blyth scored their third.

Harwich & Parkston 0 Haverhill Rovers 1

TIME on the ball was a premium for both sets of players in a tight fought first half that saw neither keeper unduly troubled.

A speculative shot from Harwich skipper Lee Matson from 20-yards skidded across the roof of the net and Brannon's shot-cum-cross cleared Haverhill's keeper landing narrowly wide of the goal.

Shortly before half-time Farrington was unable to direct his powerful header on target; the goal at his mercy. Harwich looked the more threatening in the second half and with 10 minutes remaining Page's glancing header rattled the bar.

This seemed to awaken Haverhill pushing forward in the remaining minutes which saw half a dozen corners for the Suffolk outfit.

Their pressure paid off in the 89th minute Hughes under pressure heading past the helpless Wootten.


Saffron Walden 0 Halstead 1

A HEADED goal by Steve Daly proved to be enough for Halstead to book their ticket into the semi-finals.

The game was well contested with Halstead in good form and quite capable of holding on to their slender lead despite some good work by the home front line.

The second half followed the same pattern with Halstead dealing with all that Walden had to offer. Chris Bryan worked very hard up front for Halstead, giving the home defence plenty to think about.

Stowmarket Town 2 Thetford Town 1

STOWMARKET were awarded a penalty in the first minute, after a hand ball by Skipp, but Hyler in the visiting goal saved Cracknell's spot kick.

Five minutes later the home side took the lead when Taylor-Holt burst into the penalty area to slot the ball home. Hyler did well to stop two long-range shots from Kovac and Thetford rallied and right on the stoke of half-time equalised with a good shot from Pask.

The second half saw Stowmarket take an early lead, once again through Taylor-Holt, but the game then turned sour and the Thetford management team was sent to the side lines along with their own player Richards and home player Kovac. In the final minute Stowmarket were awarded another penalty, and Hyler again saved the spot kick, this time from Tourney-Godfrey.


Heybridge Swifts 6 Great Wakering Rovers 0

SWIFTS went ahead early on as Matthew Batt appeared to knee a Danny Barber corner into the net. Chances came at regular intervals, Mark Reddaway firing a header high and then seeing another header well saved by Louis Green in the visitors' goal.

Daryl Bourgeois twice put headers over the bar from close range before he then headed a corner across goal for Adam Passfield to score from close range. A stunning 25-yard volley from Reddaway crashed into the net off the bar from Robbie King's perfect ball into the channel, and soon afterwards Gary Burrell robbed Nikki Beale to smash home a fourth at the near post.

Swifts were in charge, although Saunders leapt high to tip a free-kick over the bar as the first half drew to a close.

Wakering were more positive after the interval, and had the ball in the net only to be ruled offside. Burrell jinked inside and shot inches over as Swifts settled again and cruised through the half. Sub Neil Cousins made a welcome return to action after many months out with serious injury.

Reddaway had a header cleared off the line, before King pinged the ball strongly across the goal area to the far post where sub Stafford Browne showed great composure to score the fifth. Gillespie crowned a good night with a left- footed finish for the sixth.