Non-league round-up: Leiston celebrate a win at Brightlingsea, while Bury Town hit six goals on the road
- Credit: Archant
It was a night of high-drama in non-league tonight, with some big East Anglian derbies, some big victories and also an abandoned match.
Brightlingsea Regent, enjoying their first-ever season in the third tier of non-league, were beaten 1-0 at home by Leiston at North Road in a Bostik Premier Division clash.
Kyle Hammond came up trumps with the winner in the 27th minute, his second goal in two games, in front of a crowd of 285.
Also in the Bostik Premier, Needham Market celebrated a 2-1 home win over Thurrock, thanks to first-half goals by Callum Harrison (37) and Ryan Gibbs (43). Jordan Clark (83) halved the deficit late on for the visitors.
A star-studded Billericay Town side secured a late winner in a 2-1 victory at Lowestoft Town, in front of a bumper crowd of 603.
You may also want to watch:
Jake Robinson put Billericay 1-0 up on 10 minutes, only for Jake Reed to equalise from White’s cross just six minutes later.
But the visitors, who included former top-flight players Jermaine Pennant and Paul Konchesky in their starting line-up , grabbed an 83rd minute winner through Louie Theophanous’ back-heel from close range.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 3 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 4 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 10 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles
Bury Town were big winners in the Bostik North Division , thrashing Hertford 6-0 away.
The Suffolk side were 2-0 up at the break, via an eighth minute own goal by Glenn Draper and a goal from Leon Ottley-Gooch on the stroke of half-time.
Ollie Canfer made it 3-0 in the 49th minute, with Ryan Jolland (69) and Ollie Highes (79 & 88) also on the score-sheet.
The Maldon & Tiptree versus AFC Sudbury fixture was abandoned at half-time due to floodlight failure caused by an electrical fault.
The score was 1-1 at the time, L’heureux Menga having scored for Sudbury, and Junior Ofelia-Uzokwe side-footing home an equaliser for the Jammers.
Also in the Bostik North Division, Mildenhall Town were undone by a last minute goal from Jake Anema in a 1-0 home defeat to Dereham, while Witham Town were soundly beaten 3-0 away at Bowers & Pitsea.
In National League South, Braintere Town were hammered 5-3 at East Thurrock, despite going in 2-2 at half-time through goals from Phil Roberts and Billy Crook (33rd minute penalty). Dernell Wynter netted an injury-time consolation goal.