North grabs last-heat second place as Witches grab point
Somerset 48 Ipswich 42
IPSWICH Witches team manager Pete Simmons paid tribute to his side after they picked up a point, losing by just 6 points at Somerset on Friday night.
The Suffolk side gained a 5-1 maximum in heat two through reserves Cameron Heeps and Rohan Tungate, but were then on the back foot as they tried to keep in touch with the Somerset Rebels at the Oaktree Arena.
The Witches were never more than eight points behind their hosts and went into heat 15 needing a 5-1 maximum to gain a 45-all draw.
But Claus Vissing won the vital heat 15, with Leigh Lanham shedding a chain on the last bend, but Dakota North’s second place meant that, although the Witches lost by six, they picked up a point.
You may also want to watch:
“We have done well to get a point tonight,” Simmons said.
“Again our reserves have done well and we must take a lot of confidence from this..”
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 3 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 4 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 6 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 7 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 8 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 9 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 10 Saturday drinkers queue for post-lockdown pints
North top-scored for the Witches with 11 points and both he, Kevin Doolan and Lanham won vital races.
The Witches travel to Leicester tonight and another good performance will put their League Cup hopes well on track.
Witches scorers at Somerset: D North 11+1, R Tungate 8+2, K Doolan 7+1, L Lanham 7, C Heeps 5+2, M Tresarrieu 4.
Leicester: L Bjerre, S Lambert, K Nieminen, J Makinen, M Karlsson, J gravesern, K Hughes.
Ipswich: L Lanham, R\R, K Doolan, D North, M Tresarrieu, C Heeps, R Tungate.