North grabs last-heat second place as Witches grab point
Somerset 48 Ipswich 42
IPSWICH Witches team manager Pete Simmons paid tribute to his side after they picked up a point, losing by just 6 points at Somerset on Friday night.
The Suffolk side gained a 5-1 maximum in heat two through reserves Cameron Heeps and Rohan Tungate, but were then on the back foot as they tried to keep in touch with the Somerset Rebels at the Oaktree Arena.
The Witches were never more than eight points behind their hosts and went into heat 15 needing a 5-1 maximum to gain a 45-all draw.
But Claus Vissing won the vital heat 15, with Leigh Lanham shedding a chain on the last bend, but Dakota North’s second place meant that, although the Witches lost by six, they picked up a point.
“We have done well to get a point tonight,” Simmons said.
“Again our reserves have done well and we must take a lot of confidence from this..”
- 1 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 2 Town reject bid for midfielder Fraser but no Matete move
- 3 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 4 Police apology after cars accidentally damaged by stinger device on A14
- 5 Ed Sheeran pays the most tax of any celebrity in the UK
- 6 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 7 Popular Sudbury bakery reveals aim to save town's post office
- 8 Suffolk entrepreneur Mike Lynch loses $5bn fraud case with Hewlett Packard
- 9 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 10 Parents’ fury as bouncy castle business leaves children in the lurch
North top-scored for the Witches with 11 points and both he, Kevin Doolan and Lanham won vital races.
The Witches travel to Leicester tonight and another good performance will put their League Cup hopes well on track.
Witches scorers at Somerset: D North 11+1, R Tungate 8+2, K Doolan 7+1, L Lanham 7, C Heeps 5+2, M Tresarrieu 4.
Leicester: L Bjerre, S Lambert, K Nieminen, J Makinen, M Karlsson, J gravesern, K Hughes.
Ipswich: L Lanham, R\R, K Doolan, D North, M Tresarrieu, C Heeps, R Tungate.