Northgate hosts 49th badminton finals
YMCA duo Daniel Moss and Gavin Coyne are amongst the debutants making their first appearances at the Ipswich and District Badminton League Championships on Thursday (7pm).
The league’s leading players will head to Northgate Sports Centre for the 49th finals, following the completion of the preliminary rounds over the weekend.
In the ladies’ singles, Emma Lee (Abbeygate), last year’s runner-up will be hoping to go one better, when she takes on the challenge of Jo Tumilty (Ipswich).
Paul Adderson and Miguel Soler, won the men’s doubles for the first time in 2000, and have been the victors on a further six occasions since then. In an all-YMCA final they will face Moss partnered by David Poole.
New names are guaranteed on the ladies’ doubles trophy when Linzi Chatfield and Mandy Davies from the Coastal Wanderers club play the YMCA pair, Suzanne Howes and Joanne Poole.
Amanda Newcombe (Stowmarket) and Moss face a stiff challenge in the mixed doubles when they try to prevent the most successful pairing in the history of the event, Sue Poole and Miguel Soler of the YMCA, from tasting victory for the 12th time.
Admission is free and the finals of the veterans’ tournament will also take place during the evening.
- 1 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 2 Matchday Recap: Town beaten 2-0 at Bolton
- 3 Developer chosen to build 3,000 new homes in Suffolk
- 4 Warning after 'Nottingham Knockers' visit homes in Bury St Edmunds
- 5 Motorist was three times the drink drive limit in Stowmarket
- 6 Teenage girl grabbed by man in seaside town
- 7 McKenna on Walton, Bonne and signing a new defender after Nsiala exit
- 8 Bolton Wanderers 2-0 Ipswich Town: Disjointed Blues beaten for first time under McKenna
- 9 'Concentration is massive' - McKenna on Town's 2-0 Bolton loss
- 10 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-0 Bolton loss
Tickets for the annual Ipswich and District Badminton League Presentation Evening, at Gresham’s Sports and Social Club on May 11 are available from Tony Chester 01473 287623.