Northgate hosts 49th badminton finals
YMCA duo Daniel Moss and Gavin Coyne are amongst the debutants making their first appearances at the Ipswich and District Badminton League Championships on Thursday (7pm).
The league’s leading players will head to Northgate Sports Centre for the 49th finals, following the completion of the preliminary rounds over the weekend.
In the ladies’ singles, Emma Lee (Abbeygate), last year’s runner-up will be hoping to go one better, when she takes on the challenge of Jo Tumilty (Ipswich).
Paul Adderson and Miguel Soler, won the men’s doubles for the first time in 2000, and have been the victors on a further six occasions since then. In an all-YMCA final they will face Moss partnered by David Poole.
New names are guaranteed on the ladies’ doubles trophy when Linzi Chatfield and Mandy Davies from the Coastal Wanderers club play the YMCA pair, Suzanne Howes and Joanne Poole.
You may also want to watch:
Amanda Newcombe (Stowmarket) and Moss face a stiff challenge in the mixed doubles when they try to prevent the most successful pairing in the history of the event, Sue Poole and Miguel Soler of the YMCA, from tasting victory for the 12th time.
Admission is free and the finals of the veterans’ tournament will also take place during the evening.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 3 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 4 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 5 A blow for Cook as trusted assistant Richardson gets full-time Wigan job
- 6 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 7 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 8 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 9 Family 'devastated' after thatched cottage badly damaged in fire
- 10 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
Tickets for the annual Ipswich and District Badminton League Presentation Evening, at Gresham’s Sports and Social Club on May 11 are available from Tony Chester 01473 287623.