Northstander: ‘I am only a fan, but the whole thing is beyond me’
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Northstander, Terry Hunt, casts his eye over another ‘sterile’ Town performance and more stick for Mick
Saturday’s game summed up perfectly why Mick McCarthy has become so unpopular with the majority of Ipswich Town supporters.
After a refreshing home display against Millwall, including an exciting debut for Ben Folami, the match at Brentford was the perfect opportunity for more of the same.
Give Folami his first start, and have a go at the home team. If we lose, does it really matter?
No, it’s all about the performance and entertainment in this situation.
You may also want to watch:
But at 2pm, when the line-up was announced, we all knew McCarthy had reverted to type.
It was obvious we were going to keep it tight, every point a prisoner, no such thing as a bad away point, etc., etc.
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 3 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 4 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 5 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 6 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 7 Woman in master/slave relationship was asked to supply indecent images
- 8 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 9 A12 clear after two-car crash at Farnham
- 10 Historic Walberswick Bell Inn closes for one week
The outcome was that Plan A was undone by a dodgy penalty, and we were then unable to respond effectively.
Another sterile performance, and more stick for the manager from the long-suffering travelling fans.
Why can he not adapt to the change in circumstances?
Now is the ideal time to find out what our promising youngsters have to offer, and give them Championship experience so they are ready for next season.
Look at the buzz Folami created against Millwall.
What on earth is the point of continuing to pack the team with loan players, who won’t be at Portman Road next season?
I am only a fan, but the whole thing is beyond me.
As I said earlier, all of the above is why most supporters are pleased McCarthy is leaving Portman Road.
It would have been so much better if he’d gone as soon as the decision was announced.
This very painful, and unnecessary, lame duck period really is doing no-one any favours.
Bryan Klug has done the job as caretaker before, so why can’t he step in again?
Finally, I was pleased to receive a letter from Marcus Evans in my season ticket pack.
In his letter, the club owner says: “I remain as determined as ever to see Ipswich Town back in the Premier League.”
We all share that ambition, Mr Evans.
But you are the one with the power to turn what at the moment seems an impossible dream into reality.