Norwich Dragons III 0 Magpies Ladies IV 6
Martin and Acock Norfolk Women’s League
AFTER having Reepham concede their match last weekend Magpies were looking to get back out onto the pitch and keep their impressive lead at the top of Division One. However, Dragons at the foot of the table, were desperate for points and would certainly love to cause a big upset.
Magpies started well, dominating possession in the Dragons defensive third, and producing some good saves from their ‘keeper. The away side took the lead when a well thought-out move between Laura Schultheiss and Treacle Snelling ended with Schultheiss turning on the spot and striking home from the edge of the D.
Magpies continued to pressurise the Dragons goal, going close on several occasions, but it wasn’t until near the end of the half, when the game had opened up somewhat, that they managaed to extend their lead; a lovely, flowing team move resulting in a Karen Absolon shot past the ‘keeper.
You may also want to watch:
The second half saw Magpies search to increase their lead, and they did so when Rachel Peter’s battling efforts were rewarded with a goal from close range. Shortly after, Schultheiss got her second, an awesome strike from what looked like an impossible angle leaving the Dragons ‘keeper with no chance. Again Magpies pushed on, and with their midfield in complete control in the centre of the pitch, their forwards were able to pressurise the home side’s defence. Absolon set up a tap in for Kay Dennis to add her name to the scoresheet, making it five for magpies, before Absolon got her second, a deserved goal, shooting competently past the ‘keeper.
An awesome display from Magpies with all 13 players working hard and showing their desire to win. Katie Mound, Claire Snelling and Sarah Legg were solid at the back, picking up and clearing any loose balls; Hannah Booty, Hannah Linger and Roo Barker worked tirelessly in the midfield; and Karen Absolon, Laura Schultheiss, Kay Dennis and Rachel Peters got their deserved goals. However, special mention must go to Treacle Snelling at the heart of the defence, and Rosie Blackmore in the midfield, for their outstanding performances. Well done!
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 4 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 5 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 6 Car SOS to feature family who lost father and son
- 7 French pop-up restaurant owner unveils new seaside hotel plan
- 8 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 9 31 miserable stats which sum up a largely miserable Ipswich Town season
- 10 Missing person from Braintree has been found