Norwich manager quits
NORWICH United are today searching for a new manager after Gary Butcher quit the club.Butcher tendered his resignation after the club's defeat on penalties to Wroxham following a 2-2 draw in the Ridgeons League Cup second round on Wednesday night.
NORWICH United are today searching for a new manager after Gary Butcher quit the club.
Butcher tendered his resignation after the club's defeat on penalties to Wroxham following a 2-2 draw in the Ridgeons League Cup second round on Wednesday night.
He met with club chairman John Hildich last night and has agreed to step down with Norwich currently second bottom of the Ridgeons League Premier Division with 17 points from 18 games.
Butcher, who took over at Plantation Park in June 2007, leaves after Norwich were knocked out of the one remaining cup competition they were in and less than a fortnight after they exited the Norfolk Senior Cup after losing 1-0 in a replay to King's Lynn Reserves.
Butcher, who was an apprentice at Norwich City and also on Blackburn's books for two-and-a-half years, later made 150 appearances for Accrington Stanley.
He then played for Clitherhoe before moving into management and was part of the joint management team that took the club to an FA Vase final at Wembley.
- 1 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 2 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 3 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Stu says: Six observations following Papa John's Trophy exit to Arsenal U21s
- 6 West Suffolk's Covid rate rises to become highest in county
- 7 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 8 Friends speak of 'spiking' in market town and advise others: 'be careful'
- 9 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 10 Former Town defender McGreal returns to club in coaching role
Butcher more recently spent seven years as an academy coach at Norwich City.