Norwich striker charged with assault
Norwich City footballer Chris Martin has been charged with common assault after he was arrested by police.
The Canaries striker was arrested in the early hours of Sunday morning.
A Norfolk police spokesman said: “Following an incident in Wymondham in the early hours of Sunday morning a 21-year-old man from the Beccles area has been charged with common assault.
“He will appear before Swaffham Magistrates Court on Tuesday, September 14.”
Norwich City posted a statement on their website which said: “NCFC have been made aware that Chris Martin was arrested, and subsequently charged, with common assault in the early hours of Sunday morning.
You may also want to watch:
“It would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage, and the matter is now in the hands of Chris’s solicitors.”
The Beccles-born striker netted 21 goals for the Canaries last season, finishing second top scorer behind Grant Holt.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 8 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 9 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 10 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday