Norwich City v Ipswich Town nostalgia: The last time the Blues won at Carrow Road
- Credit: Archant
In this week’s Town nostalgia, we take a look back to February 2006, when Ipswich last won at Carrow Road – as ‘Canary Crusher’ Danny Haynes struck a controversial late winner to take the honours in the East Anglian derby.
Ipswich last beat old rivals Norwich in 2009, but you have to go even further back for the last time the Blues won at Carrow Road – February 2006, in fact.
The home side opened the scoring in 33rd minute when Yousef Safri lifted a hopeful long ball into the Ipswich half.
For the first and only time the Ipswich offside trap misfired, enabling Jonathan Johansson to run on and lift the ball neatly over Lewis Price in the Ipswich goal.
But barely five minutes later Ipswich were level, as Jimmy Juan scored from a 25-yard free-kick, which deflected off the head of Johansson to make it 1-1.
You may also want to watch:
Ipswich looked more likely to snatch the glory and had a penalty appeal turned down before Danny Haynes grabbed the dramatic winner as he flung himself at the ball Alan Lee had headed down on the six-yard line and bundled it across the line – off what looked suspiciously like his arm, not that Town fans cared!
- 1 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 4 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 5 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 6 New-look Cobbold Stand finished - and what a difference it makes!
- 7 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 8 Ipswich closing in on Coulson loan signing
- 9 Crash between two motorbikes
- 10 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move