Now’s not the time to talk contracts, says Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy says now is not the time to talk contracts.
Blues owner Marcus Evans left it until the last minute to negotiate new terms with skipper Luke Chambers last season, with key men David McGoldrick, Bartosz Bialkowski, Cole Skuse and Jonas Knudsen now among those in the final year of their deals.
“Join the club,” quipped McCarthy, referring to the fact his own contract expires next summer (club has option to extend until 2020).
“It’s not all just as simple as that. We’ll deal with it when we need to deal with it.”
With Town having won six of their opening nine Championship games ahead of tomorrow’s visit of Bristol City, the Blues boss added: “There is one sure fire way of upsetting the applecart when things are going well and that’s when people start talking about money and contracts.
You may also want to watch:
“It has an affect on them because they are thinking about something else other than the football and it filters through the club.
“It can have a real negative affect, so I’d appreciate if you stop talking about it!”
- 1 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 2 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 5 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 7 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 8 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 9 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 10 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired