Oak better than the Amazon
National Challenge Set - Woodbridge Amazon 15 Oakmeadians 40
WOODBRIDGE were caught napping from kick off as Oakmeadian’s scrum half Barr ran through several tackles to touch down in under a minute, Dorey converting.
The Amazons reacted by putting the guests under pressure in their 22 and hooker Kinlan picked up a loose ball and drove over for a try.
Amazon’s winger Tricker maintained the attack after the restart with a great run on the left, but the move suffered from some poor handling and the visitors’ well drilled pack stole the ball for Barr to catch Woodbridge napping again with another converted try.
Despite some spirited running from the Amazon backs, Stearn, Rickard, Baker and Tricker, the Oakmeadians pulled in too many defenders and used the width well to threaten.
You may also want to watch:
Another quick penalty take allowed Barr to score a crafty third converted try against a tiring Woodbridge pack.
Injuries beset both teams and the game was interrupted several times but Woodbridge managed to get the ball wide to Tricker, who took five points before the visitors reacted with tries from Peak and McClure to end a seven-try first half.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 3 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 5 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 6 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 7 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 8 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 9 Plans to build bungalow in pub garden refused after number of objections
- 10 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
The second half saw the Amazons feed Stearn and Rickard, largely unsupported, to try and break through the resolute Oakmeadian defence.
This process stretched Woodbridge’s defence which repeatedly had to run back and tackle when the ball was lost in the ruck.
The Oakmeadians’ discipline held and excellent play from their flankers Walraven and Lappin was eventually rewarded with a try by Briggs from a well-worked build up.
Amazon’s Tricker made another break-away score but the day was deservedly Oakmeadians as the second half stuttered to an injury- laden halt.