Old boy Robbie King nets winner against U’s
Colchester United XI 0 Canvey Island 1
FORMER Colchester United midfielder Robbie King sunk his old club in tonight’s Essex Senior Cup Final, held at Thurrock.
A product of the U’s youth team at Layer Road, King made just five senior appearances before drifting into non-league.
But the 25-year-old came up trumps by heading home a free-kick by Ashley Dumas, with just seven minutes remaining, to clinch the trophy for Canvey Island.
It was no more than the Gulls deserved, because they had dominated for most of the evening and created by far the better chances.
You may also want to watch:
The one major plus for the U’s, who have won this competition just once – two seasons ago – , was a full 90 minutes for long-term injury victim John-Joe O’Toole.
Midfielder O’Toole has only made six senior appearances over the last seven months, due to injury problems, principally a groin problem, but he came through tonight’s game unscathed.
- 2 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 3 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 7 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 8 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 9 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 10 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
In fact, O’Toole was the most likely scorer for the U’s, who largely disappointed.
The ex-Watford man fired over the top from Jordan Sanderson’s free-kick on 69 minutes, and then headed straight at keeper Andre Foster from Sanderson’s 81st minute corner.
Just two minutes later and King ghosted in at the far post to nod home the winner for the Ryman League Premier Division side.